Help!)Cold pressed soap spots on surface

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silvergraylub

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im a beginner soaper making soap for my baby who has very sensitive skin.

Since i was making more than needed, i want to share my soaps with my friends and family as well as my colleagues.

Yesterday when i was cutting my soap with a wire cutter, i realized that the surface of the cutted soap show some dots that looks like stearic spots. I thought it was weird that the other non cutted side was very clean.

I decided to cut the soap with a knife to test out and the surface showed very clean surface without any spots.

This spots only happens when i cut the soap with wire cutter.
Does anyone can help me resolve this issue?? I want to minimize any cosmetic defects as these would be gift for my close friends!!

I really would appreciate any advice.

Thank you!

Jamie

First off Welcome to soapmaking, but do take your time. Also, it is not Cold Pressed soap it is Cold Process Soap.

Lye soap for babies is Not necessarily gentle for their skin. Babies are usually better off with a mild synthetic soap or a nice store-bought un-fragranced baby cleanser, even just water if the baby is not really dirty. A really nice mild melt and pour soap can be very gentle for babies and Essentials by Catalina makes some lovely bases with samples available to purchase.

Back to your original question, what you are probably seeing on the cut side of your soap is small bubbles from cutting too soon with a wire cutter. With experience, you will learn the optimal time to cut your soap, but you can plane off the fine bubbles if they bother you. They are simply aesthetic and hurt nothing.

Thank you for a kind reply.
I normally unmold it arpund 20-24 hours and it feels if i keep it longer, it is giving too much stress on wire and would not cut it at once.
I would appreciate if anyone can share other opinions as well.

Thank you!!

I agree, its from the wire gliding over bubbles during cutting. I don't know to prevent it, it not anything I'd worry about.

Latest posts

Back