Help: coffee soap oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kae

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking of doing a coffee soap. Gonna use a super strong brewed coffee as liquid and the following oils (5% SF, 35% liquid as percentage of oils):

OO 33%
Cocoa butter (refined) 14%
Sunflower 17%
Shea butter (refined) 14%
Mango butter 11%
Sweet almond 11%

Your comments and suggestions (if any) is more than welcome. Do you think I should keep the numbers as is or change any oils or numbers? Kind of getting more experimental by the day because of this forum :computerbath:.

Oh, and I kind of want an exfoliating yet mild soap. I have an extremely weird skin. Sensitive to anything it deems so at a given time. :lol:

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-08-22-16-54-24-963_com.android.chrome.png
    Screenshot_2019-08-22-16-54-24-963_com.android.chrome.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 7
I would cure this for longer than usual, testing a small piece to see when it's bubbly enough, given the amount of butters and no coconut.

What are you gonna use for exfoliation?

Hopefully your skin likes this one hehe

I would cure this for longer than usual, testing a small piece to see when it's bubbly enough, given the amount of butters and no coconut.

What are you gonna use for exfoliation?

Hopefully your skin likes this one hehe

I'm thinking of fine coffee grounds. Will just put a little since what I have in mind is gentle exfoliation. I'm a good student am I? I followed your advice to leave the coconut oil from my recipes :hairpulling:.

I'm thinking of adding sugar to the liquid too for bubbles. Got the idea from @Zany_in_CO c/o her castile soap recipe.

Should I sub some of the soft oils with castor?

Last edited:
Yeah.. See how it fares for you. Process of elimination lol if it's not the coconut then next try leaving off something else.

I actually have a recipe that also totals 40% butters BUT that has a small amount of coconut and I think 6% castor oil. The bubbles are nicer around 4mos or so hehe

Yeah.. See how it fares for you. Process of elimination lol if it's not the coconut then next try leaving off something else.

I actually have a recipe that also totals 40% butters BUT that has a small amount of coconut and I think 6% castor oil. The bubbles are nicer around 4mos or so hehe
Thanks Dawni. Ok will revise to include castor.

How did your soap cure given the 40% butters?

My mom and her friends love it! I need to make a new batch recently hehehe

Mine has mostly avocado for the rest. I cure all my soaps minimum 2mos anyway, but the lather on this one got better after about 3.5mos if I remember my notes correctly.

It looks fine but won't be very bubbly without Coconut. When adding the coffee grounds add about 1 T per pound of oils. I use spent grounds not fresh as fresh is pretty rough.

I would add 5% Castor and subtract it from the Olive Oil.

My mom and her friends love it! I need to make a new batch recently hehehe

Mine has mostly avocado for the rest. I cure all my soaps minimum 2mos anyway, but the lather on this one got better after about 3.5mos if I remember my notes correctly.

Genny's Shampoo bar remains a dream for me as of yet. Avocado oil is soooo expensive. :(

Yay! That's good to hear. Will give this a go then.

It looks fine but won't be very bubbly without Coconut. When adding the coffee grounds add about 1 T per pound of oils. I use spent grounds not fresh as fresh is pretty rough.

I would add 5% Castor and subtract it from the Olive Oil.

Thank you @shunt2011. Should I sun dry the used grounds? Or is it unnecessary?

Will do as suggested for the oils substitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always dry the grounds in the oven, spread out on a baking sheet. Mostly this was to prevent an extra liquid, but also to prevent mold from growing on the grounds. This way I can save the grounds and use it in soap at a later date.

Last edited:
Clara Lindberg of Auntie Clara soaps has mentioned in one of the posts on her website that she uses dry grounds to avoid the halos that can form around moist grounds.

I always dry the grounds in the oven, spread out on a baking sheet. Mostly this was to prevent an extra liquid, but also to prevent mold from growing on the grounds. This way I can save the grounds and use it in soap at a later date.

They can get halos. I do dry them a bit in the microwave. I spread them out on a plate between some papertowel.

Thank you @Mobjack Bay, @shunt2011, and @earlene.

I got confused seeing conflicting statements all over the web. :) This clears it out for me.

If you use coffee grounds, I highly suggest using fine grounds... If you have a coffee bean grinder, set it to the " Fine" setting. I used spent grounds that were a meduim/fine grind, and they are pretty sharp. I can send a pic later of how jagged they are. I didn't originally plan to add the grounds... it was a last second decision, so I used ALOT... no where near 1 T.... for the 2 lb batch i made.... LOL

I have a secondary question to using coffee water... do you use straight coffee water, or are you freezing it first ? After my batch, I seemed to recall reading somewhere to freeze the coffee and add the lye to the ice and let the lye melt it so it doesn't Over cook the straight coffee water ??

Thanks

Coffee grounds can be used to exfoliate, if you have skin thats picky you may want to use oatmeal.

When i make coffee soap i soak coffee beans with my oiland let them blend together for a few days and i love it

Latest posts

Back