Help. Car tires last longer than my laptops...!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The motherboard seems to be failing; two computer guys actually can't really find any other reason for it's weird symptoms. So....looking for a new computer.

Lenovo has a new Ideapad s340 out that I want. It's very hard to find in the brick and mortar stores so I'm looking online.

BUT....why is it every time I go to the Lenovo webite it looks different? (the website) Are there fake ones?

One version of their website said there were out of the model I wanted, but to look at their resellers.
Resellers? On a model that just launched in April? How do I know if I'm getting the real deal and not getting cheated?

Highly recommend buying from Newegg.com. It's common for manufacturers to make variations (ahem, cheaper versions with less performance) of the same model depending on which reseller it will go to. Their website if probably just cycling through all the stock photo's they have. That's why I never buy electronics from Walmart, etc. Go to newegg and check the specs carefully for what you want.

I have bought Dell laptops the last couple of times. I really like them and they seem sturdier than HP

I have dells and get the three year warrantee. This last computer I got a solid state drive and it has lasted much longer and had no problems so far. A bit more expensive but better built apparently and no fan necessary which seems to be a major failing point in standard computers.
Don’t get a tablet or mini computer (sneaky term for tablet) they just don’t last or go fast enough.

Sadly, the failing computer is a Dell Inspiron, SSD, Intel i7. Hasn't reached it's 2nd birthday yet. It's had problems for many, many months. Two computer guys were left shaking their heads and could only suspect the motherboard. Some days it works just fine, then it completely rebels. The touchpad locks up, it lags, the websites don't load. I printed sheets and sheets of labels the other day - Avery, which saved the pdf to your computer but suddenly my computer wouldn't save them so printing became impossible - even print screen and MS document. The sounds intermittently goes buggy as does typing - lagging, wrong letters, etc.

Last night, the backspace key starting re- typing the words it had just erased. Spooky.

Found the Lenovo IP S340 at Costco for $500, so dashed out to get it. SSD, Intel i3, great sound, solid build - plenty of memory and power for what I need….according to my favorite computer guy (studying for his Ph.D in Computer Science)

It's boring black; but this Dell is fading so quickly that I don't have time to search for the shiny silver one. I'll just have my little one paint something artistic on it for me. :dance:

My my laptop is having issues in it's own right but that's what I get for getting an HP. The only computer person that reached me quoted me a price that ultimately would have exceeded the cost of my stupid laptop (I'm wondering if I was quoted $300+ because I'm a woman o_O).

In short, I feel your pain Lena. I also second GreenDragon's suggestion with newegg. At the least they're great for when I'm too lazy to waltz to Staple's or Target for ink. As for laptops, I was actually looking into getting an ASUS, I think. Nothing too fancy but I MUST be able to play The Sims 3 and/or 4 on that bad boy (my priorities are shot but if I could play those games, my daughter can play hers too :D).

I bought a toshiba laptop about 6 years ago, still going strong. It was upgraded quite a bit so I could play mmos & was kinda expensive but its a good computer.

My mom keeps gettings dell, they are garbage.

I bought a toshiba laptop about 6 years ago, still going strong. It was upgraded quite a bit so I could play mmos & was kinda expensive but its a good computer.

My mom keeps gettings dell, they are garbage.

Funny you said Toshiba. My Toshiba with the dying battery is causing less issues than this HP I'm using. It was overall better than this laptop too. I wonder if I could upgrade it myself and bring it 8 yrs into the future.

Yes, I love(d) my Toshiba. If they are still going to be in business of making laptops, I'd be way more likely to invest in another one of them.

Trick to keep laptops lasting it to keep them cool. I have a cooling board that plugs into the usb port, blows air onto the back of the comp.

Update: The computer guy was right; have had the Lenovo Ideapad s340 for 2 weeks now and it's perfect for what I need. $500 at Costco for a SSD and backlit keyboard. It's thin and light, much better screen than the $700 Dell, much better audio - BUT not loud. I may get a speaker for listening to music. But it's fine for Netflix.

Update: The computer guy was right; have had the Lenovo Ideapad s340 for 2 weeks now and it's perfect for what I need. $500 at Costco for a SSD and backlit keyboard. It's thin and light, much better screen than the $700 Dell, much better audio - BUT not loud. I may get a speaker for listening to music. But it's fine for Netflix.
I love my Lenovo; I've had it for about 5 years, I think. It isn't loud either but I have speakers I can plug in. We usually use the iMac for playing music and watching Netflix, anyway.

Back