Help can I rebatch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonhorses

Reaction score
I have made 3 batches of soap now and all but the last one turned out.
Here is the ingredients. Coconut oil 5 oz Corn Oil 5 oz Olive Oil 5 oz Palm Kernel Oil 5 oz Palm Oil 15 oz Lard 25 oz goats milk 23 oz lye 4.5 oz. I ran the measurement thought the lye calculator. I use a stick blender and also hand stir.
It came to a trace just fine about 15-20 minutes. I added rose fo and colored half of it poured into 3 ½" mold. Every thing seemed to be fine. When I cut it 2 days later towards the bottom end of the mold I started seeing very few but some white spots and a few ( 3 or 4) place that were white and still moist. It is an off white color. I have made the same recipe in a smaller batch and it was fine. The rose scent does not come out. It still smells a little like lye. I added the scent and color at trace. Thanks for your help.
Paula

HI Paula,

Did you check to see if the soap zapped you? It could be lye but it could also be stearic from the palm.

If you think it is lye and then it zaps you, you can try rebatching. I'd shred the soap up and take that opportunity to add in some goats milk and maybe a bit of a luxury oil like manoi. Be careful to not add too much or it can affect the lather. If you are a bit lye heavy, the extra goats milk and/or oil you add will help use that lye up. If it is just a matter of that you did not properly mix the lye, the rebatch should take care of that.

the soap does not seem to have a bite to it. It does have a few air pockets in it. And the smell is off. I used rose fo and it does not smell like rose but it is not a ranicid smell either. About how much milk would I put in?
Thanks for all your help.
Paula

Latest posts

Back