Help can I fix this problem?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys happy memorial soaping day. I made these two CP soaps today. Mintish green is aloe Vera bars pale green is cucumber bars. Both I used the same recipe but I the cucumber soap came out rough and wrinkled on top as it sets. Can I fix this? Only difference with the recipe I ran out of castor oil and made up the oz with grape seed oil. Everything else was exactly the same.

Attachments

• 80F67B88-B364-4A6C-8A9D-449170BE6DE1.jpeg
    80F67B88-B364-4A6C-8A9D-449170BE6DE1.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 19
  • A2E1C94C-BA66-45A2-99F7-6183D81A79B5.jpeg
    A2E1C94C-BA66-45A2-99F7-6183D81A79B5.jpeg
    119.5 KB · Views: 18
I'm just wondering if you sprayed the top with alcohol. I've had something like that happen when I sprayed with alcohol.
That’s exactly what I did. I sprayed the top with alcohol before putting it to gel in the oven and it started wrinkling as it firms up but I did the same thing with the aloe bars so I’m confused as to what caused it

That’s exactly what I did. I sprayed the top with alcohol before putting it to gel in the oven and it started wrinkling as it firms up but I did the same thing with the aloe bars so I’m confused as to what caused it
Thank you for your feedback I appreciate it
The only thing that can be done is to plane or cut a thin layer off to remove the wrinkles.
They aren't a issue, nothing is wrong with the soap, its just a cosmetic issue.
thank you will do when the soap planer arrives in the mail.

I don't really know what causes it. It doesn't happen every time - or even very often. I generally don't spray with alcohol anymore since it really didn't seem to be effective for me.

When my soap looked less than gorgeous, I would label it Esthetically Challenged and sell it with a .50 cent discount and people loved the quality and didn't see the imperfections that I did. When I first glanced at your soap I thought it was intentional. Is this for personal use, a gift, or are you selling it?

My soap does that if it overheats, I have wooden spacers to put underneath the molds and that seems to help. I have a few fragrances that do that, or if there's honey or milk in the batch. Customers will probably think you did it on purpose!

Auntie Clara did an experiment trying to force the formation of alien brains. You can read her blog called “What’s Hot and What’s Not -A Study in Overheating.” I tried to link it but it didn’t work. I found it by googling Auntie Clara alien brains.

Back