HELP! Any one have a recipe using these oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reneelouise

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm looking for a tried and true recipe for a soap using the better priced oil that I have access to here in Australia.
Does any one have a recipe using olive, canola, rice bran, sunflower and/or coconut oils? I'm trying to keep my percentage of coconut oil low due to the ridiculous price of it here and am also not really looking at going down the castille route...

Thanks!!

Where have you been looking for coconut?
Shopping online coconut is much more reasonably priced than in health food stores & supermarkets. However most recipes keep it under 20% anyway.
Palm kernel oil is a common substitute for coconut but you'll probably hae to get that online too - Aussie Soap Supplies is a good start.

Check out soap queen, teach soap, soaping 101 or millersoap for some good starter recipes.
Soap queen has a beginner basic oil list
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-b...s-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/

Talks about what oils you can use as a partial substitute for other oils. (Eg canola is similar to olive but cures faster... but I've read it may also contribute to DOS)

Are you only wanting to use those and nothing else? I have those in recipes but also things like Palm, Lard, etc.

Maybe a bastille like 65% OO and 35% CO? Can you get Castor?
One of my favorite bars so far is the recipe above except its 60/30/10 (castor)

Until few months ago I exclusively used Copha as a CO. It's coconut oil just hydrogenated. With maybe .5 or 1% soy lecithin or whatever which didn't bother me much. I just used to put the whole amount into soapcalc as a CO. Frymasta is a palm oil. I used it in soaps as well. Both, Copha and Frymasta are excellent substitutes if you want to skimp on some $$$. When I started making soap I used to pay around $20 at least for 500gr of palm oil including postage.
Are you in Melb by any chance? There's a lovely fellow soaper that sells big boxes of coconut and palm oils. They are food grade (for frying) but excellent for soap as well. And cheap, I paid $60 for 20 kgs of coconut oil. She makes and sells soap but sells few supplies without making profit. I can send you her details if you happen to live in Melbourne.

Hi Jade :)
Thanks for your reply.

I have been getting my coconut oil online. I think because I am only buying smaller amounts (2L at a time) that I end up paying more than I want.
I made a great batch yesterday it was

I've been looking around on some of those sites and I guess I have overwhelmed my self! So many options!

There were a few in your list I hadn't checked out... Thanks! :thumbup:

Back