Help and opinion! 100% Olive oil soap

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by Skybluesky, Oct 1, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Oct 4, 2019 #21

penelopejane

penelopejane

penelopejane

Yes Zany’s recipe DOSsed for me too and a few other people in Oz who tried it. I’ve never had DOS on a Castile Before.

cmzaha and shunt2011 like this.
  2. Oct 5, 2019 #22

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

I too tried Zanys but just didn’t care for it. But, again I don’t like Castille’s. It was still slimy. I only made 4 bars to try it out. Like Carolyn I only make one batch of Castile. But only every couple years. I don’t get a lot of requests for it but have it generally.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    cmzaha likes this.
  3. Oct 5, 2019 #23

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Absolutely not, my oils were fresh. Keep in mind, I am not a new soapmaker by any means, and make a lot of soap. :D That was not the problem because I always cure OO soap for a min of a year and usually still have them hanging around for at least 2 years before they all sell. Never had a DOS issue.

Relle likes this.
  4. Oct 5, 2019 #24

Dawni

Dawni

Dawni

And I got DOS on my HP Castile, but not on the one with Zany's recipe, neither on the CP one and I used the same olive oil (pomace) in all three. Go figure.

5. Oct 5, 2019 #25

Lin19687

Lin19687

Lin19687

Well I do NOT think it was just because of the recipe itself, which you seem to imply and I think needs defending. I feel it was wrong to word it like you did as you could have just said you made a recipe that didn't work out for you.

I know you are not new to soap making nor an I (new to this site). And while I do not make Castile soap I do know that
    DOS comes from something that was put IN the recipe by the maker or how it was stored or where it was stored.
    ex: on metal shelves seems to enhance this as does older oils

I made salt bars back in 2002 that got DOS within 3 months and others that were fine when I found them last year in an old box (15 years old- I did toss them just because). I bought my oils from Mike at Columbus Foods (now called Soapers Choice) and used them right away. They were cured on those White closet racks with a paper towel under them. So why did it happen? Who knows but I might guess it was the FO or the rack OR the time of year and moisture in the room :smallshrug: Maybe you used an FO that did it.

Now I will say that even though we buy oils from a company that says it is fresh we really do not know for sure. Use by dates I always wonder about... like When did the company Get the oils and how long did it take to get to Them KWIM?

k, off soap box.

KDP likes this.
  6. Oct 5, 2019 #26

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

Lets get back on topic, folks. Take your bickering outside.

IrishLass :)

Mistrael, shunt2011 and Amonik like this.
  7. Oct 5, 2019 #27

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I agree :D

IrishLass likes this.
  8. Oct 7, 2019 #28

Cocolive

Cocolive

Cocolive

Hmm, I remember there was a recipe of castile soap that required water equal to oil but also heavy lye (-40% SF). It was a recipe that required hand stirring over SB. I was thinking that the OP's recipe was somewhat similar to it but having the usual number of lye. I think some points need to be adjusted: lower the amount of water, increase the amount of lye, and hand stirring as the method of mixing lye water and oil

9. Oct 9, 2019 #29

Skybluesky

Skybluesky

Skybluesky

I researched better and looked to older recipes I had stashed somewhere and decided to go with your advice. As soon as I have more olive oil, I am trying recipes more lye heavy and also HP process, since winter here is worst for soap to cure, something I never really tried besides "rebatching".
    Thank you all!

Deborah Long likes this.