Help and opinion! 100% Olive oil soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Shunt on this one. I Hate OO soap but do make it once a year for customers that request it. BTW I will mention, I made Zany's no slime soap Exactly as her recipe called for and 6 months into curing it Dossed quite badly, which surprised me since I have never had a Castille soap DOS, and I have some laying around that are 5 yrs old. So now I have to make another yearly batch with my EDTA and BHT. No offense Zany, but it never lathered either and still had slime. I will mention I use a 40% Lye Concentration, and force gel by putting it on a heating pad. Light-colored pure OO is what I have always used when I do make it.
Yes Zany’s recipe DOSsed for me too and a few other people in Oz who tried it. I’ve never had DOS on a Castile Before.

I too tried Zanys but just didn’t care for it. But, again I don’t like Castille’s. It was still slimy. I only made 4 bars to try it out. Like Carolyn I only make one batch of Castile. But only every couple years. I don’t get a lot of requests for it but have it generally.

Last edited:
hmmm I wonder if your Oils were just too old to do this long cure bar ?
Absolutely not, my oils were fresh. Keep in mind, I am not a new soapmaker by any means, and make a lot of soap. :D That was not the problem because I always cure OO soap for a min of a year and usually still have them hanging around for at least 2 years before they all sell. Never had a DOS issue.

And I got DOS on my HP Castile, but not on the one with Zany's recipe, neither on the CP one and I used the same olive oil (pomace) in all three. Go figure.

Absolutely not, my oils were fresh. Keep in mind, I am not a new soapmaker by any means, and make a lot of soap. :D That was not the problem because I always cure OO soap for a min of a year and usually still have them hanging around for at least 2 years before they all sell. Never had a DOS issue.

Well I do NOT think it was just because of the recipe itself, which you seem to imply and I think needs defending. I feel it was wrong to word it like you did as you could have just said you made a recipe that didn't work out for you.

I know you are not new to soap making nor an I (new to this site). And while I do not make Castile soap I do know that
DOS comes from something that was put IN the recipe by the maker or how it was stored or where it was stored.
ex: on metal shelves seems to enhance this as does older oils

I made salt bars back in 2002 that got DOS within 3 months and others that were fine when I found them last year in an old box (15 years old- I did toss them just because). I bought my oils from Mike at Columbus Foods (now called Soapers Choice) and used them right away. They were cured on those White closet racks with a paper towel under them. So why did it happen? Who knows but I might guess it was the FO or the rack OR the time of year and moisture in the room :smallshrug: Maybe you used an FO that did it.

Now I will say that even though we buy oils from a company that says it is fresh we really do not know for sure. Use by dates I always wonder about... like When did the company Get the oils and how long did it take to get to Them KWIM?

k, off soap box.

Hmm, I remember there was a recipe of castile soap that required water equal to oil but also heavy lye (-40% SF). It was a recipe that required hand stirring over SB. I was thinking that the OP's recipe was somewhat similar to it but having the usual number of lye. I think some points need to be adjusted: lower the amount of water, increase the amount of lye, and hand stirring as the method of mixing lye water and oil

Hmm, I remember there was a recipe of castile soap that required water equal to oil but also heavy lye (-40% SF). It was a recipe that required hand stirring over SB. I was thinking that the OP's recipe was somewhat similar to it but having the usual number of lye. I think some points need to be adjusted: lower the amount of water, increase the amount of lye, and hand stirring as the method of mixing lye water and oil

I researched better and looked to older recipes I had stashed somewhere and decided to go with your advice. As soon as I have more olive oil, I am trying recipes more lye heavy and also HP process, since winter here is worst for soap to cure, something I never really tried besides "rebatching".
Thank you all!

Latest posts

Back