HELP! Acrylic Molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angezzz

Reaction score
I bought two acrylic soap molds (5-6 lbs of soap each) They are beautiful! No lining and no leakage. However, THEY ARE STUCK! I have read that because they are so airtight it can take weeks to get them out and I also read that rubbing mineral oil on them will help. Unfortunately, I have 12 lbs of beautiful soap that won't come out. Any suggestions? I tried the freezer...no luck. Also, any suggestions what to do next batch?

What temps can they withstand? I have an HPDE mold and I put mine in the oven on low (I think somewhere between 100 and 125), few a few hours. That really makes the soap release from mine!

Im not sure but they are pretty thick! I attached a pic, the manufacturer did not say what heat they could withstand but I am assuming a low heat is fine

molds.jpg

Can you not unscrew those bolts and just slide the sides off?

Scooter

I have seen these used and they just unscrewed everything and then slid a knife along the side to help break the vacuum. Have you tried that?

The bolts are all off...I tried the knife and using all my strength to pull. One of them worked and I got all the sides off but the bottom plate is completely stuck. I even used 4 teaspoons of sodium lactate.....I will try the oven :confused:

Those are hdpe molds not acrylic. You could try Dixiedragons method of the oven. Good luck they have to be LINED. It is not a vacuum seal you are trying to break it is Stuck...sorry. When leaving for a few weeks the soap will start shrinking away from the mold so they will eventually de-mold. Running a knife down the edges will only succeed in tearing up your soap. These are the only type molds I use but they have to be lined. You can just use a slip liner leaving the ends unlined but you will have to cut the ends away from the soap

Thx Carolyn....This is what I thought was going to happen...even though it stated NO LINER molds. I have been online trying to find silicone liners to fit in them but I can't find any the right size (inside in 18 inches long)

Carolyn..Have you ever tried rubbing mineral oil on them first? I read that mineral oil does not saponify and it will release the soap

Last edited by a moderator:
Mineral oil doesn't work either. I had those molds and sold them as I hated lining them. I know use silicone lined molds. So much easier. You probably won't find liners to fit them. You would have to make them yourself or buy liners and make your own boxes. That's what I did.

EG is correct that freezing will sometimes help, but if these are the Mr Doright molds they are textured and even freezing does not release the soap. Been there done that. I have 15 hdpe molds and the only ones that will release with freezing are the small 2 lb molds that I have which are smooth hdpe. It is really not hard to make a slip liner. I have the 18" molds and cut freezer paper 9.5" to fit across the mold, down one side, across bottom and up the other side. If you decide to get rid of them and they are the 18" that hold 5-6lbs of soap I would possibly but them from you

They are Mr Doright! I love these molds but I bought them because I didn't want to line molds anymore :-|

You should sell the Doright molds to cmzaha and use the proceeds to buy replacements at Nurture Soap. What you just experienced is exactly why I'll never purchase those type molds . . . I'm way to lazy to line those suckers! The silicone liners in a wooden box work out much better for this slacker ;)

^^^ I agree!! That is why I have a lot of them. I always have at least 5 lined all the time. They can be pesky, buy I have 15 of those suckers. Since my customers are used to the shape and size, I really cannot change molds. I picked up 3 from a de-stash group recently which was nice. Can't wait until my granddaughter is old enough to teach her how to line my molds for some pocket money. :)

Back