[HELP] 50% pure olive oil & castor oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosche

Reaction score
Hello everybody! First, I want to say Happy belated New Year 2016. Hope all the best for you all :D

Okay, now, the problem I got is, sometimes ago I bought castor oil in this so called chemical store. Let's call this store balabala shop.

Before, I have bought castor oil at reputable chemical store. It's yellowish, super sticky, and somewhat smelly. It's fit the description I've read from the internet.

But then I try to buy the castor from bala2shop bcoz it's cheaper. But the castor I bought from bala2shop recently is almost clear, not sticky (even fast drying when applied on skin) and odorless. Graah!

I did asked a couple times to the bala2 shop seller that is it the right castor oil. She said yes. This is the cosmetic grade castor.

Stille worried, after I bought the oil and brought it home, I decided to contact the shop owner via bbm. And turned out the castor is only 50% pure! And also the olive oil (I bought it at bala2 shop too sometimes ago b4 I bought the castor).

And the worse, the bala2shop owner doesn't know what is the rest 50% of the oil.

Yes, it is me being so dumb because I didn't ask at the 1st place wheter the olive and castor is 100% pure or not.

=============================
Long story short, I now have about 1liter of 50% pure olive oil and castor oil where the rest 50% is unknown oil.

My question is :

1. I'm from Indonesia, are there one of you soapers have same experience / know about this 50% pure oil?

2. What should I do with this oils?

PS : I've tried to make some soap with this oil. I consider they are 100% pure. I've also have tried the soap from this 50% pure oils. It feels a bit burning on my skin. I guess maybe the soap is lye heavy?

Demand a refund. Tell her you'll never order from her again if she doesn't return your money for this crappy product.

My concern is that the other 50% is mineral oil and won't saponify. I suppose you could use it in lotion and lipbalm?

Or use it as 5% in your soap, with a superfat of 10%.

Thx for the response dixiedragon. I don't think I can get refund since I'm the one who didn't buy carefully.

Since they say it's cosmetic grade, yes maybe I can use it in lotion or lipbalm. That a nice idea!

But...the other 50% oil is actually still a mystery. Maybe I just have to throw it

I'm in the US so our rules etc are different, but if you have bought from her again and plan to buy from her in the future, she might be willing to accommodate you. I don't think this was really your mistake - the product was mis-represented.

I have to question the use of mineral oil in any cosmetic product. First, it's derived from crude oil, which may not bother some folks but makes me cringe. Second, it penetrates the skin and gets into the body, and it doesn't metabolize, which I think means it will stay in your body, maybe for a long, long time. Third, some studies have shown it to be hormone-disrupting. Many people swear by its benefits, but I avoid it like the plague.

Would love to hear from others -- DeeAnna?

Last edited:
Thx for the response dixiedragon. I don't think I can get refund since I'm the one who didn't buy carefully.

Since they say it's cosmetic grade, yes maybe I can use it in lotion or lipbalm. That a nice idea!

But...the other 50% oil is actually still a mystery. Maybe I just have to throw it

I agree with dixie, however this is how I look at it. You made the mistake of purchasing a 50% oil product, sure. However, since any portion of the oil is unknown to the supplier, and not labeled on the oil, it can not be legally used in any commercial aspect. You can't throw "Unknown oils at unknown amounts" on your labels lol. Demand a refund based on that.

^^^ Yup. If you find out that the other 50% of the oils are in fact fats (not mineral oil), then you could use it in soap for personal use, gifts, etc. But IMO, there's no reason a reputable supplier couldn't at the VERY LEAST say, "The other 50% is a mixture of soybean oil, canola oil and sunflower oil" or something, even if they don't know exact percentages.

@TwoHippies to throw I mean throw it in the garbage. :D as for now, I use it only to grease my mold until I know what is the other 50% "mystery" oil >_<

@dixiedragon yeah...the problem is, this balabala shop isn't that reputable I guess. I mention it at the 1st post that before I have purchased castor oil in this balabala shop, I previously bought in a more reputable shop. It has label on the bottle.

The reason why then I bought castor in balabala shop is because it's cheaper and I'm still learning however. But it turns out like this. :(
The owner really said she doesn't know the other 50%. But it's understandable since this is Indonesia and balabala is only a small chemical store. I think the owner only focus on selling, not educating. Haha...

I think this castor and olive is from China manufacturer. Which someone can buy cheap in a bulk to be resell again.

Thank you for replying, I hope whoever read my writing can understand what I mean. Not so good in English. :oops:

I wouldn't throw it away or use it in any form if there is an unknown aspect. Contact them and demand a refund, even if you've used some. It is their responsibility to know what's in it. Because they don't, it is no longer your issue.

If you believe it to be olive oil and it is purchased cheap, it will most likely be Olive Oil Pomace, and more than likely not produced in accordance with the updated EU standards. This makes it quite dangerous. Several years ago OO Pomace was pulled (I mean, you couldn't import it or export it in EU) due to elevated levels of a chemical that is produced in the manufacturing process as a result of over-heating. Even if it comes from a regulated country, Pomace is still iffy in my opinion.

Latest posts

Back