Hello!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I've been making cold process soap for about a year now and am starting to venture into liquid soap and lotions. I have found this forum to be such an amazing resource on many occasions and I'm so grateful for the knowledge people share here. Glad to be part of the community!

Welcome, K8E!

IrishLass :)
Thank you! So glad to be here. I've gotten a ton of help form here already :)

I have been reading your post from a few years ago on liquid soap and this is my second batch and still can't get the paste to dilute properly.

The first time, I used Jackie Thompson's method and recipe exactly in a slow cooker. The paste became dry and never became translucent. After 4 hours I pulled the paste and tried to dilute it. It was a thick, milky putty even after letting it sit for over 2 days. Then I cooked it after adding a ton more water and it resembled very runny soap until I neutralized it with a citric acid solution. Then all of the fats separated out from the water and never came back together.

I tried your post's recipe with the 50% heated glycerine/ 50% heated water and very quickly the paste went to vaseline stage. I did not cook it beyond the initial lye combining and stirring. I let the paste sit for about 24 hours and it was more white and glue like; not translucent. I tried to dilute it without sodium lactate and have put in about 1.25 water to paste. Same thick, milky goop. It's been sitting now for about 4 hours and no settling has occurred. It is still showing pink too when I put the pheno drops in, so, I'm worried the same separation will occur as before.

Any ideas? You seem to be the "go to" for liquid soap on here! ")

Thanks so much!!

Thank you!!

Welcome KBE :).
Thank you, much appreciated :)

Welcome to the forum. :)
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Any ideas? You seem to be the "go to" for liquid soap on here! ")

Hi K8E! I'm very flattered, but I'm definitely not the only go-to person for liquid soap on the forum, that's for sure! :) Whatever expertise I may have revolves mainly around the 2 glycerin-method recipes I make all the time. If you would start a new thread over in the liquid soap section of the forum, posting the whole step by step process that you went through from start to finish, we all can put our collective heads together to troubleshoot and get to the bottom of what's going on. :)

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back