Hello!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curlysoaps

Reaction score
Hello,

Nice to meet you all! I am a very excited to have found a place for soapy questions and answers! I have been making soap for a while, but am trying to push myself, get new ideas, learn, question and mostly love! I am 35, originally from England but now living in California, have a cat that I am afraid I do completely worship, but hey that’s what cats want! So all my money is spent on soap and expensive prescription cat food (of course).

Edit - removed section requesting help as problem solved - thank you :)

Attachments

• 13849FB7-DA61-430C-93F8-9C124B1EB69C.jpeg
    13849FB7-DA61-430C-93F8-9C124B1EB69C.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 4A21BECA-8554-49F5-A50E-519DED322C46.jpeg
    4A21BECA-8554-49F5-A50E-519DED322C46.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Hi Curly!

Welcome to the forum :) I also love soapmaking and a I foster cats so it's nice to meet you!

You may want to repost your question in the Beginner's Soap making section as more people will check there, but here are my thoughts:

From the pictures you posted it looks like they are either stearic acid spots or bubbles. Can you take a close-up and tell us a bit more about your recipe, specifically what was the temp of the lye and oils, and what was the stearic + palmitic % of your recipe. If the percentage is high and you soaped at a cool temperature, it could be that the stearic acid did not completely melt and that's why you have the spots. Remedy is to soap at a higher temp. If it is air bubbles ( I think it is but I am not positive), use a stick blender at a lower setting. You can also try cutting with a knife and that will smooth out the bumps.

Lovin Soap talk more about white spots here:

http://www.lovinsoap.com/2017/01/white-spots-in-soap/

Hope that helps!

Allie

Hello,
Thank you all so much, Relle no need to re-post, it is bubbles!! I read that article you linked to Elurah, it is my wire cutter. I tried cutting the soap with a knife and no spots. My recipe was also only 13% palmitic and 5% stearic, and I soaped at 87-90 degrees F, which from what I read should have probably been ok anyway? So that's disappointing, my new wire cutter gives me the bumps! Thank you so much for the help.

Elurah - you foster cats?! I would love to do that! Unfortunately (or maybe not, I love everything about him so more a mild irritation) my cat is really aggressive with other cats, as I would love to foster but it just wouldn't work for us. How long have you been doing that and how many cats do you foster? I have a feeling that also if I fostered I may end up with a house full of cats that I didn't think anyone else was good enough to look after ;)

I have attached a picture of my ridiculous cat!:D

Attachments

• IMG_6691.JPG
    IMG_6691.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 6
Welcome.gif
Howdy from Colorado. In case you haven't seen this...
DOGS vs.CATS:

How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb?

1. Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?

2. Border Collie: Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

3. Dachshund: You know I can't reach that stupid lamp!

4. Rottweiler: Make me.

5. Boxer: Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark.

6. Lab: Oh, me, me!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeze, please, please, please!

7. German Shepherd: I'll change it as soon as I've led these people from the dark, check to make sure I haven't missed any, and make just one more perimeter patrol to see that no one has tried to take advantage of the situation.

8. Jack Russell Terrier: I'll just pop it in while I'm bouncing off the walls and furniture.

9. Old English Sheep Dog: Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see a light bulb!

10. Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

11. Chihuahua: Yo quiero Taco Bulb. Or "We don't need no stinking light bulb."

12. Greyhound: It isn't moving. Who cares?

13. Australian Shepherd: First, I'll put all the light bulbs in a little circle...

14. Poodle: I'll just blow in the Border Collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

How many cats does it take to change a light bulb?

Cats do not change light bulbs. People change light bulbs. So, the real question is: "How long will it be before I can expect some light, some dinner, and a massage?"

ALL OF WHICH PROVES, ONCE AGAIN, THAT WHILE DOGS HAVE MASTERS, CATS HAVE STAFF!

View attachment 29892Howdy from Colorado. In case you haven't seen this...
DOGS vs.CATS:

How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb?

1. Golden Retriever: The sun is shining, the day is young, we've got our whole lives ahead of us, and you're inside worrying about a stupid burned out bulb?

2. Border Collie: Just one. And then I'll replace any wiring that's not up to code.

3. Dachshund: You know I can't reach that stupid lamp!

4. Rottweiler: Make me.

5. Boxer: Who cares? I can still play with my squeaky toys in the dark.

6. Lab: Oh, me, me!!!!! Pleeeeeeeeeze let me change the light bulb! Can I? Can I? Huh? Huh? Huh? Can I? Pleeeeeeeeeze, please, please, please!

7. German Shepherd: I'll change it as soon as I've led these people from the dark, check to make sure I haven't missed any, and make just one more perimeter patrol to see that no one has tried to take advantage of the situation.

8. Jack Russell Terrier: I'll just pop it in while I'm bouncing off the walls and furniture.

9. Old English Sheep Dog: Light bulb? I'm sorry, but I don't see a light bulb!

10. Cocker Spaniel: Why change it? I can still pee on the carpet in the dark.

11. Chihuahua: Yo quiero Taco Bulb. Or "We don't need no stinking light bulb."

12. Greyhound: It isn't moving. Who cares?

13. Australian Shepherd: First, I'll put all the light bulbs in a little circle...

14. Poodle: I'll just blow in the Border Collie's ear and he'll do it. By the time he finishes rewiring the house, my nails will be dry.

How many cats does it take to change a light bulb?

Cats do not change light bulbs. People change light bulbs. So, the real question is: "How long will it be before I can expect some light, some dinner, and a massage?"

ALL OF WHICH PROVES, ONCE AGAIN, THAT WHILE DOGS HAVE MASTERS, CATS HAVE STAFF!

I LOVE this!! Thank you for making me laugh on a Monday :) my parents have a golden retriever- this is totally her!!

Hello,
Thank you all so much, Relle no need to re-post, it is bubbles!! I read that article you linked to Elurah, it is my wire cutter. I tried cutting the soap with a knife and no spots. My recipe was also only 13% palmitic and 5% stearic, and I soaped at 87-90 degrees F, which from what I read should have probably been ok anyway? So that's disappointing, my new wire cutter gives me the bumps! Thank you so much for the help.

Elurah - you foster cats?! I would love to do that! Unfortunately (or maybe not, I love everything about him so more a mild irritation) my cat is really aggressive with other cats, as I would love to foster but it just wouldn't work for us. How long have you been doing that and how many cats do you foster? I have a feeling that also if I fostered I may end up with a house full of cats that I didn't think anyone else was good enough to look after ;)

I have attached a picture of my ridiculous cat!:D

Glad to hear you figured it out but sorry to hear it was the new wire cutter :( I have been fostering cats for about 5 years now and I have three so you have good insight about fostering leading to a house full of cats! Your kitty looks adorable! Hope you enjoy the sight!

Back