Hello!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelloKrissy

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm completely new to the soaping world and am so excited to really get going. I've made two small batches that haven't completely cured yet, so I don't really know how good I am yet.
But I know that one batch is super ugly because I over did my trace, and the 2nd batch has soap ash. ugh!
In a perfect world, I'd like to make a living from this. But I don't know how realistic that is. All I can do is try.

Thank you all for having me here.

Welcome Krissy

We would all love to live in a perfect world and make a living from our handcrafts, good luck.

Hey and welcome, Krissy. I, too, would love to make a living at selling soap. However, I am still learning, and the soap market is glutted where I live, so that is a nice dream only. Most folks here say you need a year before even considering selling. I know it took me a full year to get one recipe that was consistently good and reasonably cost effective. A full year! And I don't do fancy swirls and such!

Hi Krissy and welcome to the forum. There are many of us who dream of having soapmaking support us. Unfortunately for the majority, it's just that, a dream. There are a boat load of soapmakers out there these days so it's very difficult. Lots of work, time and money. In the mean time just have fun with the learning process and making soap.

Hi Krissy! Don't worry about the ash, it washes off and the bars will be pretty and shiny. Just use gloves and a gentle poof or wadded up old nylons to gently scrub it off. Ive been soaping a year and only just mastered putting trace where I want it (most of the time), there's a definite learning curve to soap.

Welcome! Amazing how much there is to learn, this is a good place to do it. I've only been CPing for about 7 months but have done a lot of batches, v. slowly changing things (to a fairly basic recipe) as I go along. I learn things (from the soap and the soapers here) every day, pretty much.

Hi Krissy,

I'm also new to soaping but I've learned other craft skills before and I know how frustrating it is to have something not turn out the way it is in your head (like the scarf I'm failing to knit right now lol). So I have nothing to offer but encouragement! Practice makes pretty, right?

You know, one of the good things about soaping, at least for me, is that you don't have to be super good - especially at the beginning! - at this to have a v. enjoyable/successful result. There are a few superstars types, a small sub-set of people who are not "famous" per se, but stand out as being really good in design, coloring, formulation, creativity/experimentation, other things (you'll see their work here, and think "dang, that is great.").

But most of us are just people who really, really like doing it, and that is good enough to make us work hard enough to make a **** good bar of soap, I think. Even to occasionally do something wonderful. And that has certainly been a great thing for me :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back