Hello to all!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahmbaker1976

Reaction score
I am just starting in the soap making endeavor. Any and all advice and help is appreciated.

I see a lot of people use the phrase that they add it in trace. What does that mean? Thank you all for being here.

I see a lot of people use the phrase that they add it in trace. What does that mean?
Welcome.

"Trace" refers to the thickness of your batter. After you pour your Lye Solution into your liquid Oils/Butters and first mix them, the first stage is a stable emulsion...very fluid, no separation. The next stage is 'light trace'...the batter is just thick enough that when it drips off your stick blender or other mixing implement it sits on top of the batter in the mixing container for just a second or two.

Achieving "trace" is always recommended for new soap makers to make sure their batter is properly mixed and won't later separate.

Welcome.gif

Any and all advice and help is appreciated.

I see a lot of people use the phrase that they add it in trace. What does that mean?
You have lots to learn. Here's something to get you off on the right foot:

FREE 26-Page Guide to Making Cold Process Soap

ADVICE TO BEGINNERS

HAPPY SOAPING! :tub:

Back