Hello Stearic Acid!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Where have you been all my HP'ing life?

I used a half ounce of it in a 33 ounce batch of HP soap and I was at trace in 3 minutes (In HP thats a good thing) My soap cooked evenly and I was still able to get a fluid final stage and do the design I wanted (As long as my planned swirl turned out)

I only used it because i was low on another oil so i made some adjustments to my normal recipe, of course running it through soapmaking friend. I cant wait to see how it affects the final bars.

So cool, msunnerstood. I am looking forward to hearing if you notice any difference in the final soap. Was the recipe pretty much the same otherwise?

Maybe this winter I'll do a little HP. I still have some stearic acid from my early HP days. I just don't do it much anymore. I had relegated it to a winter activity, but for some reason didn't do a single HP soap this last winter.

So cool, msunnerstood. I am looking forward to hearing if you notice any difference in the final soap. Was the recipe pretty much the same otherwise?

Maybe this winter I'll do a little HP. I still have some stearic acid from my early HP days. I just don't do it much anymore. I had relegated it to a winter activity, but for some reason didn't do a single HP soap this last winter.

Yes, a little less walmart shortening and 1/2 ounce Stearic. everything else the same. I just cut and the texture is good and wasnt any harder than normal. I'll clean them up and post later. wasnt as thrilled with my swirling skills this time though lol

Here is the cut, The gold didnt come through like I was hoping it would and it wasnt the swirl I was going for but oh well. I wish the camera picked up the gold glitter on top instead of it looking like white spots.

cranberry woods.jpg

Thanks you guys. My HUsband said the same thing and said the colors would need to be reversed for it to be meat so I feel a bit better lol. I really like what the stearic did for the feel of the bar. its like its more dense if that makes sense, but still creamy feeling on the outside. Ill need to let it cure and test out the lather at a later date.

Earlene,
You can use SA in CP soap as well.
You treat it as an oil in your recipe.
Heat oils and NaOH to 110*F (42*C). Mix SA (1-2%) with a little of the oils from the batch, melt it in the microwave until clear. Pour NaOH into oils and add the SA and SB JUST to emulsion only (it will accelerate more than the same recipe without SA). Then pour. It will set up quicker and be ready to cut a little bit earlier than a batch without added SA. You will probably still need to cover it to force gel.

My Husband cracks me up. I brought him one to smell the scent and he smelled, then wiped it on his neck because he knew I could no longer sell it and he could keep it.

He only gets to sniff end cuts from now on..

Latest posts

Back