HELLO SOAP PEOPLE!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwahlne

Reaction score
I just made my very first batch of soap! After reading 3 books, researching on the internet and the excruciatingly painful wait for my supplies to arrive, I DID IT!

I LOVE IT! I am so excited and already driving my family crazy. Let's hope the batch turns out. My pH strips don't arrive until Wednesday...!

I am SO happy to find a hobby that I am so excited about. Hope to meet lots of new friends on this board!

Kristin

Welcome to the forum. Congratulations on your first batch! Don't worry about your test strips, Most of us don't use them for Bar soap... at least I don't

Welcome to the forum!! and Congratulations on the first batch!!! I lvoe the feeling of making your own soap!! its so great to take your first shower with it too...your thinking like...woahhhh I know EXACTLY what went into it and how it was made!!! coooooooooool 8) .

I second that on the strips...I do the zap tongue test, wet some of the soap with your finger...stick on your tongue (with some vinegar nearby for safekeeping...to neutralize), if it gives you a zap, the batch may be lye heavy..check the recipe to make sure you did it correctly, if all is well then check it in another day or two..

I just take the finger out of the equation most the time and give it a good ole lick lol....but I dont advise that unless you reaaaallly want to do it (and of course have the vinegar on hand just in case)...hasnt done me wrong yet :)

HAPPY SOAPING!

hello and welcome!! how exciting your first batch. i haven't started yet...am still getting organised :wink:

post some pics if you can..always good to see those photos..:)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I will definitely be posting some pictures.... as soon as I get them. I seem to have some light-colored flecks in them. Is this normal? Otherwise, I think they look good.

Not sure about licking them yet...LOL!

But lemme tell you...I think something is wrong with me. Ever since this soap-making thing came to mind, IT'S ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT! I'm sitting at work, thinking about how much I'd rather be at home making soap. I'm constantly checking online to see if my supplies have shipped yet. My home is a disaster because, who wants to clean when I could be making soap, reading about soap, talking about soap, writing about soap, or learning about soap? I think I might be obsessed. So what do you think? Do I have issues?

Maybe I'll chill out a little once I've gotten a few more batches under my belt. :wink:

welcome to the club ;)

I know EXACTLY what your feeling! its a passion once it gets you...theres no turning back! :)

So here's the pics...what's up with those flecks of white? Don't you just love the milk carton top?

Now that I think about it... is it flecks of milk?

I've got some good molds on order... I did NOT like using the milk carton.

SoapBatch1.jpg

SoapBatch1-A.jpg

Welcome to the forum and to the addiction! You did a great job on your first batch. Congrats!

wonderful soap! :) Nice idea to use a milk carton!!!

you try it yet?? (Id be willing to bet yes? lol) howd ya like it??!!

Hiya, welcome and congrats on your first batch! I use cartons too sometimes, here's a way to pretty them up.....(not that yours ain't pretty :oops: )
2459774510_c186296b41.jpg

these are carton soaps, trimmed to look nice!!
Good luck!

Yes, I got the milk carton idea from one of the books I read. I look forward to using a log mold though.

Retro, those are beautiful! I plan to get one of those wavy blades. Thanks for sharing! :D

I'm hoping to get more creative with my soaps, as I gain experience.

I think you will naturally, I love to experiment with new stuff and I always lay awake with a pad and paper so I can jot down ideas (there are SOOOOOO many now lol...)

Back