Hello Soap Guru :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sas

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been in this forum for 3 days now and just realized that I supposed to introduced myself here.
I started this soap journey because Im bored, not much to do during the pandemic and Im allergic to most soap (I have eczema) so I thought this would be a good time to start dive in to this journey.

Im already addicting watching soap tutorial and that has become my night routine.
Im here for the tip, trick, suggestion, and simply enjoying looking at other people soap.

So far you guys have been amazing giving me feedback on my recipe and many other suggestion.
So thank you! Much appreciate.

Sas

Welcome!

For for someone with eczema, consider a high-lard soap with zero coconut oil, 10-20% neem oil, 10% sweet almond oil, 8% castor oil, goat’s milk, colloidal oats, and little to no fragrance. To increase bubbles, add some form of sugar (table sugar, honey, molasses, sorbitol, aloe vera juice for water, etc). Powdered goat milk is easier for beginners since you just blend it into your oils and don’t need to worry about the lye scorching it.

The numbers don’t look great on the soap calculator, and it isn’t long-lasting, but it is super gentle on the skin and has a creamy lather. It has helped my husband’s eczema and psoriasis tremendously. Sometimes I add a bit of shea or cocoa butter for extra hardness, but his skin likes it better without.

The neem oil will turn the soap brown, so don’t plan on coloring it. Due to the high lard, this soap benefits from a longer cure, like 6-8 weeks minimum. The bubbles will be much better after that.

Welcome!

For for someone with eczema, consider a high-lard soap with zero coconut oil, 10-20% neem oil, 10% sweet almond oil, 8% castor oil, goat’s milk, colloidal oats, and little to no fragrance. To increase bubbles, add some form of sugar (table sugar, honey, molasses, sorbitol, aloe vera juice for water, etc). Powdered goat milk is easier for beginners since you just blend it into your oils and don’t need to worry about the lye scorching it.

The numbers don’t look great on the soap calculator, and it isn’t long-lasting, but it is super gentle on the skin and has a creamy lather. It has helped my husband’s eczema and psoriasis tremendously. Sometimes I add a bit of shea or cocoa butter for extra hardness, but his skin likes it better without.

The neem oil will turn the soap brown, so don’t plan on coloring it. Due to the high lard, this soap benefits from a longer cure, like 6-8 weeks minimum. The bubbles will be much better after that.
@AliOop Thank you so much for the suggestion! I got Aloe in the fridge, will definitely add it to my next batch :)

Welcome :). My hints tips and tricks - start reading the Beginners forum from now, backwards and use the search engine - top right hand side for quick answers to your questions.

Welcome!

Hello AliOop! I just found this thread and wondered at what stage you add the neem oil? I made a HP soap two days ago with neem oil, but I'm pretty sure I added it too soon. Also, I used fresh filleted aloe vera blended with distilled water according to your advice that I read last week (and now can't find) and it worked like a dream when I added lye to the frozen aloe. I have eczema as well and hadn't thought to cut out coconut oil altogether. I will give that a try next.

Hello SAS! Welcome.
I will add that my sister in law gets eczema, and she finds just my regular cold process recipe is fine for her skin. She had sworn off soap because it was irritating, but once she tried handmade she realised it was the commercial soap that was the problem - especially synthetic detergents.

Hi @Janewoc17 - I add the neem with all my other oils, before adding my lye. If that's what you did, you should be fine. :) It might have been someone else who wrote about using the fresh aloe, since I don't remember saying much about that... but ya never know... my memory can be spotty. ;)

Just a little note, oatmeal does not necessarily work for everyone with eczema. I happen to be allergic to oatmeal in soap.:nonono:Sorry Ali, but I just had to mention that.
Yes, thanks for mentioning that! One must test, test, test and be willing to throw out or give away soaps that don't work for that person. Small batches!

Latest posts

Back