Hello Old Friends!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WeLoveWabiSabi

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm new here but not new to the forum. I have been all over reading the topics here since I've been making soap for over 15 years. So, I'm not calling any of you old, but you all already seem like old friends since I've been lingering around here for such a long time. A bit about me, I've been making soap for a long time for friends and family. Started when my kids were little and had sensitive skin. Everyone always told me how much they loved it and suggested I start selling it. Finally, last year, I started selling at local markets and now have a website. Soap making has been one of just a few hobbies that I've had over the years that actually stuck and that I continue to enjoy.

Today's issue that brought me here (when I finally decided to participate...lol) was I've had issues in the last week or two with soap batches seizing on me. I have no idea why other than maybe the fragrances I'm using, since I've been trying to use up a lot of Crafter's Choice fragrances lately. I have never had this issue before even with activated charcoal or essential oils. Only once with pine tar soap before I discovered that you don't SB it. Any thoughts? Anyone have issues with a particular brand of fragrances?

The pic is of my soap today. I just threw it in the crockpot to hot process it back to something usable.

Attachments

• 386D0505-1E78-46E2-A47B-E86F9E00FB33.jpeg
    386D0505-1E78-46E2-A47B-E86F9E00FB33.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 14
Welcome to the forum. I agree, it sounds like the FOs are the culprit. I always read reviews before purchasing. A review will usually state whether an FO accelerates trace. I know this is no help now, but keep you might keep it in mind for future purchases.

Thanks everyone. Turns out you were right about that. It was crafters choice Japanese cherry blossom. I thought I vetted the fragrance oils thoroughly before purchasing. When I went to look again, the first four reviews were about soap seizing. I was in a rush to buy it because I was trying to find a fragrance to make a soap that one of my best customers asked me to make. I guess I missed the reviews on that one. I will say though that with most of their fragrance oils that I've been using lately, you can't stick blend them for long at all or they thicken up really quick. I like to pour on the runny side so I guess it's just not something I'm used to. On the bright side, I took this soap and added a bunch of soap scraps, some more fragrance, and had some fun looking confetti bars. Not my typical smooth square soap that is more my brand, but for a rebatch they turned out to be some hefty huge bars. lol.

Attachments

• A5E63977-0A3F-4035-B74B-C26CF8189CA9_1_201_a.jpeg
    A5E63977-0A3F-4035-B74B-C26CF8189CA9_1_201_a.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 9
I only bought 2 and 4 oz bottles to try some new scents. I've been using exclusively essential oils since 2006, until last year when I started my business.

@cmzaha This is the first time I've heard of that. Now you've peaked my curiosity, what happens when you do that?

Back