Hello, new user here

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coconutoliveallergyp

Reaction score
Hello, I'm from the USA. I'm interested in soap making because I have so many allergies and am now realizing I have to make my own everything.

Welcome! I tried to respond to your other thread, but got a weird error message. If you are able to list the oils which you can tolerate, this helpful group could assist you with creating your own liquid or bar soap.

Welcome! I tried to respond to your other thread, but got a weird error message. If you are able to list the oils which you can tolerate, this helpful group could assist you with creating your own liquid or bar soap.
I can tolerate grapeseed oil for the most part. It's my most favorite oil.

Last edited:
I can tolerate grapeseed oil for the most part. It's my most favorite oil. However, I do fear lye because in my family we have someone who passed away years ago form accidentally eating lye. So it's a whole-family fear. It can also cause blindness, so I just don't want to deal with it.
If you want to make soap you need lye, you can't make soap without it.

I think I am understanding from your other post that you are hoping to purchase soap - liquid or bar - made out of oils that you can tolerate. Is grapeseed oil the only oil you can use, or are there others?

I don't want in any way to minimize your fears over the family tragedy. But truly, that situation was very unusual. Many of us regularly work with lye and are not injured. It is like riding a bike, or driving a car - those can be dangerous activities, but the solution is to take appropriate precautions.

Even so, if you are not comfortable making your own soap no matter what, it is possible that one of the members here will know of someone who will make a custom batch for you.

Last edited:
I think I am understanding from your other post that you are hoping to purchase soap - liquid or bar - made out of oils that you can tolerate. Is grapeseed oil the only oil you can use, or are there others?
Well passionfruit/maracuja oil works for me too. But grapeseed oil is my staple. I also like apricot kernel and peach

Last edited:
Back