Hello. New here. Jackpot winner!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jennls

Reaction score
Hello, I am new here and I have just finished my third batch of cold process and I think I hit the jackpot on how many problems you can have! I would like to include some pictures, looking for some advice on what caused these issues and how to avoid them in the future.
1. might be a glycerin river?
2. DOS? or bad honey??
3. Steric spots ( I did realize AFTER, the importance of fully melting the harder oils)
4. Soda Ash. (which I can't seem to avoid on many of my batches)

Maybe, I'm just not a soap maker????

Attachments

• 20230419_113155.jpg
    20230419_113155.jpg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230419_113307.jpg
    20230419_113307.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230419_113419.jpg
    20230419_113419.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230419_113504.jpg
    20230419_113504.jpg
    705.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi @jennls. Please do not doubt your soap making abilities/capabilities based on your third batch of soap. I see in your soap pictures colors and artistic swirls. Reminds me of marzipan from Germany. Even if your batch is less than anticipated, perhaps it will dry down beautifully and lather well. Try polishing gently with a very soft cloth to buff off soda ash. Let it dry down and test for lather and smell. In the meantime make good notes and carry on. Soap making looks easy enough yes. However in practice it is both a science and an art imho. Let us know how your next batch turns out. Wishing you lots more soap adventures. Welcome to soap making!

In the first two photos, it looks like discoloration due to FO. The soap in the last photo appears to have soda ash.
Agreed, and the second one might also be honey spots. There are lots of good threads here that will explain how to successfully incorporate honey into your soaps, how to avoid stearic spots, and how to cut down on soda ash.

The good news is that nothing in the photos should make your soaps unsafe or "bad." Maybe not what you planned, but still soap. :)

You made soap - that's huge! If you are referring to the white line in the first photo, I don't know what it is, but it's not glycerin rivers. If you used honey in the second soap, the spots are likely unincorporated honey. DOS usually doesn't show up for at least several weeks. The third soap could be stearic spots, but it looks more like air bubbles to me. Soda ash just happens some times.

All of these are cosmetic issues, and your soaps will be fine for use.

Hello, I am new here and I have just finished my third batch of cold process and I think I hit the jackpot on how many problems you can have! I would like to include some pictures, looking for some advice on what caused these issues and how to avoid them in the future.
2. DOS? or bad honey??
3. Steric spots ( I did realize AFTER, the importance of fully melting the harder oils)

Don't give up! You made soap and did not have a volcano or something! Let the soap cure a bit, like the others are saying. It will probably be usable. If not, make a note of it. Goodness you should have seen my 1st soaps! Horrible, cracked things with many many other issues............ Don't give up!!

Welcome.gif

2. DOS? or bad honey??
I've never experienced any of those issues so I'm so help at all! 😁
However, I mostly enjoy "Plain Jane" soaps with nothing more than a nice scent and a bit of natural colorants, i.e, herbs, spices, clay, activated charcoal and the like.
LOL Nonsense! Just add "YET" to that statement! Like life in general, a Soapmaker is a work in progress. Even after 20 years at it, I'm still learning, experimenting, enjoying and growing.

For where you are right now, this thread is a fun read and will give you something to think about.

What Advice Would You Give to Your Beginning Soaping Self?

I'll be making my first small batches soon. I'm sure I'll have many of the same issues. It's a learning process. Take notes, ask questions, learn from everything, and move forward. Like most things, practice makes perfect (or less imperfect). 😊

Latest posts

Back