Hello I'm new in Soap Making Forum!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellisimo

Reaction score
Hello community, my nickname is Bello,

I've been studying soap making for more than a year, but never made soap until a month ago.

Currently, I'm focused on Liquid Soap. I've been able to make two batches with different recipes that I calculated out of my year of learning.

The first one came out no so good but still it made some bubbles :D (did not use distilled water as it was my first soap experiment, used mostly olive oil, coconut, oil and canola oil)

My second recipe I used olive oil as main oil, also coconut oil and this time I added castor oil and just a bit percentage of avocado oil; also added some additives sorbitol as for better lather and citric acid as chelator
and this time I used distilled water and I got a better soap than last one!
It came out perfect to the skin I used to shower and loved the effect. But still not enough lather:confused:
So as I want to improve lather I'm thinking of saponifying oils separately and then mix the pastes with different proportions to find the best recipe.
My question is that if I saponify oils separately as I just said; would I be able to recreate the soap saponifying all the oils together following the same proportions of the single-oil paste?
I' hope I make myself understood. Since my English is my second language.!
Note: I am willing to sell liquid soap some day in the future, once I get experience and knowledge!

Good morning/afternoon/evening!

Welcome to SMF! We have a few folks here who do a lot of liquid soap, including @Zany_in_CO. She may weigh in on your questions, and her advice will have much more experience behind it, but I'll go ahead and share my thoughts, too.

I don't believe there will be any benefit to saponifying single oils in separate batches, and then mixing them. I think it is best to focus on creating a mix that has all the qualities you want. Just make small batches so that you don't have lots of LS that you don't like.

Using a chelator and sorbitol were smart additions to increase bubbles - well done! You might also read up on how to add post-cook superfat to LS (somewhat advanced procedure), which would allow you to use more coconut oil (for more bubbles) without making the soap too stripping.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!

Welcome to SMF! We have a few folks here who do a lot of liquid soap, including @Zany_in_CO. She may weigh in on your questions, and her advice will have much more experience behind it, but I'll go ahead and share my thoughts, too.

I don't believe there will be any benefit to saponifying single oils in separate batches, and then mixing them. I think it is best to focus on creating a mix that has all the qualities you want. Just make small batches so that you don't have lots of LS that you don't like.

Using a chelator and sorbitol were smart additions to increase bubbles - well done! You might also read up on how to add post-cook superfat to LS (somewhat advanced procedure), which would allow you to use more coconut oil (for more bubbles) without making the soap too stripping.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes!

Thank you for your reply; I'll be researching about post-cook superfat; never heard of it

Welcome, Bello!

I remember reading of a few folks that saponify different single oils and then combine them to create different liquid soaps. I've never done it myself, but I know it's doable.

IrishLass :)
I appreciate your reply; this next week I'll try this way.

If either of you care to enlighten me, I'd be interested to know the "why" behind saponifying single oils and then mixing them during dilution. I didn't doubt that it could be done, but just don't see a benefit. Probably it is something obvious that I'm overlooking!

If either of you care to enlighten me, I'd be interested to know the "why" behind saponifying single oils and then mixing them during dilution. I didn't doubt that it could be done, but just don't see a benefit. Probably it is something obvious that I'm overlooking!
Hello AliOop;
I thought of this as an option to find the best oil proportion* for my liquid soap recipe. So I would not waste much oil, materials and time.
Let's say I already know the oils I want to use as an example: olive, coconut and palm with this in mind now I need to find the right proportion* of each one to make a soap I like: once I have the three separate pastes then let's say I make my first test with 20% coconut, 10%palm and 70% olive pastes, and then I dilute them in water and test that proportion soap, if i don't like it then I try a different proportion*. Hope I can make myself understand.
Note: not sure If the right word is proportion or ratio.🤔

Back