Hello I made a mistake in preparing my oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can probably fix it if you are sure you used the percentage number for all the oils. If you list what you actually poured (weight), someone will help you. Also, your best guess of the amount of sunflower would be important to include. Which soap.calculator are you using?

I don't remember math, but if you used the percentage amounts, wouldn't you just have 100 oz of oils? Can you work backwards from there to put the oz into soap calc and then figure out how much lye and water you need. I didn't go to math school though and its 1115 pm, so if there is conflicting advice, please take someone elses!

Here are the amounts in ounces
coconut oil 25.2 oz
palm oil 25.2 oz
sweet almond oil 9.22 oz
olive oil ? Maybe 2 oz at most I stopped pouring when thought something was wrong and never looked at scale
I was using soap calculator pro I need to learn more on calculators , I will use tried and true recipe longer till better at it .
thanks for all the help it’s a great hobby

olive oil ? Maybe 2 oz at most I stopped pouring when thought something was wrong
You know how much of the other oils you added, so put an empty bowl on the scale, tare the scale, and pour your oil mix into the bowl scraping the "pour from" bowl well to get all the oil. Write down the weight shown, and subtract your known oil weights (59.62) and you will know how much olive oil you added. From there you should be able to put weight amounts into a soap calc to come up with lye qty, and tweak further for better soap qualities.

OP, that's like 89 oz of oil. Just make sure you have a mold big enough for the batch. I think that's nearly 6lbs of oil so you're gonna have an amazing batch

Hey, @Dave12444, and welcome to the forum! Are you a beginner? Have you started already? If you are a beginner, just a suggestion to use 1/2 or 1/3 of your oil mixture. My first batches were learning experiences (okay, so yeah, my current batches are still learning experiences). Keep us posted and best of luck!

Latest posts

Back