Hello, I have a question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Athena2121

Reaction score
Hello, Thank you.
I have been making homemade organic soaps for about 6 months now . I use all 100% plant based essential oils and use no lye at all.
I did have a question or two .
I was wondering,
I'm making soaps for my sister in law whom is pregnant, I wasn't to sure what essential oils to use , I have done so far oatmeal/vanilla, made with Coconut Oil and olive oil and oatmeal/lavender made with Coconut Oil and olive oil.

My question is , is the Vanilla 100% plant based essential oil safe for her to use? With melt and pour Glycerin and/or shea butter?

Hello, Thank you.
I have been making homemade organic soaps for about 6 months now . I use all 100% plant based essential oils and use no lye at all.
I did have a question or two. I was wondering, I'm making soaps for my sister in law whom is pregnant, I wasn't to sure what essential oils to use, I have done so far oatmeal/vanilla, made with Coconut Oil and olive oil and oatmeal/lavender made with Coconut Oil and olive oil. My question is , is the Vanilla 100% plant based essential oil safe for her to use? With melt and pour Glycerin and/or shea butter?

Not sure what mellt and pour base you're using but it's likely not organic. Some of the M&P bases are true soap, and DO use lye. You just don't need to handle the lye yourself as it's already been saponified into soap, but it is an ingredient of the M&P. Other M&P bases are actually syndets because they don't include lye. I am skeptical that you could make an organic syndet bar.

There is no such thing as vanilla essentail oil. If you're using one, the supplier lied. There is a vanilla oleoresin, but that's not actually an essential oil. I would suggest getting your essential oils from a reliable source like Nature's Gift, Plant Therapy, or a soap supplier. Now brand is also an economical yet pure brand that you can purchase from health food stores. Do not purchase from Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc. as those are adultrated.

It's not recommended to use essential oils during pregnancy and breast feeding nor during the first two years of the babies life UNLESS you have training on EO safety. Even then, it's best to avoid unless absolutely necessary. Less is better! Nature's Gift and Plant Therapy both have trained aromatherapists on staff than can advise on safe usage.

It's good that you're asking these questions as you're wanting to be safe. I'm sure your SIL appreciates your efforts. If you would like to make your SIL a lovely, gentle soap, I would suggest searching the forum for Zaney's No Slime Castile. It does use lye (as all soap does) but it's creamy, super gentle, moisturizing, and VERY easy to make. It's also nice unscented.

Hope

Always research any essential oils that you are using. Some are not suitable for pregnant individuals.

Thank you so much for the responses.
I am using the Clear Soap , Clear Glycerin soap base from my my local store Micheal's. I also use the Shea butter from them too.

I honestly did not know that my Vanilla is not natural .I am kinda new to all of this and thought that the Vanilla was organic also didn't know about the Lye haha .

I do have Vanilla Oreoresin tho. Should just use that for now on? I will look into different essential oils from a new provider. Thank you .

I'm just worried now that my Lavender is not okay now too ... I got them all from Amazon name is Mary Tylors Naturals. I added photos of what I am using..

So it's best to just make my sister in law , something else with out the Essential Oil.
Again Thank you .

Attachments

• 20220115_125028.jpg
    20220115_125028.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220115_124955.jpg
    20220115_124955.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 11
The base you are using is not organic and is not soap. It is what is known as a syndet base which is a synthetic base. Most melt and pour bases today are actually soap made with lye but the clear and ultra-clear bases are usually still synthetic bases. There is absolutely nothing wrong with them but you can certainly purchase better quality bases than what you purchase from Michaels. I like bases from Essentials from Catalina or Stephenson's bases.

As for essential oils in soaps I never had anyone worry about them in soap even when pregnant, but in leave-on products yes. It is still better to be safe than sorry so just check what is and is not safe. I also did put warnings on my labels for the questionable eo's, but I preferred using fragrance oils over essential oils.

Ohh, okay Thank you.
. I will change the soap base then, I honestly didn't know there was a difference between the soap bases.
I am still new at this and learning new things each day.
Thank you , I appreciate it.

I am using the Clear Soap , Clear Glycerin soap base from my my local store Micheal's. I also use the Shea butter from them too.

I got them all from Amazon name is Mary Tylors Naturals. I added photos of what I am using..

So it's best to just make my sister in law , something else with out the Essential Oil.

I would look at supplier like Wholesale Supplies Plus or Natures Garden for a nice melt and pour base. The ones at the craft stores are junky and use harsher surfectants. If you haven't already, I would suggest making a cup of tea, hot chocolate, or coffee, and sitting down and reading through the melt and pour forum.

I took a quick look and there is no way Mary Tylors is unadulterated, for the prices they're selling for. I would honestly toss them all and chalk it up as an important lesson that just because a supplier says something, doesn't mean it's true. Caveat emptor - inform yourself to protect yourself. We've all walked that path and learned something the hard way. (Mine was a chemical burn from Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo. I now can read labels and choose appropriately, but it took time).

I personally would not make your SIL anything with essential oil.

Hope

Latest posts

Back