Hello from the netherlands

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunshower

Reaction score
Dear soap friends,

I am a long lost soaper fron te netherlands. I have beenmaking soap for a while about ten years ago, and I kinda stopped. In the mean time I discover anotherpassion which is spinning (wool, silk, cotton, flax etc).

recently a friend wanted to make her own soap to wash her wool. My friend is a volunteer in the national historic open air museum as a spinner. So we wanted to make a soft soap using ingredients that would have been used in the netherlands about 100 years ago. This way she can wash her wool in a reasonably authentic soap (as far as reaonably feasible ofcourse). Needles to say, this rekindled my soap making enthousiasm. I already found lots of information on this forum as a guest and I am now going to dive back into the rabbit hole with you as a member, and I doubt it will remain limited to this project alone.

Welcome, Sunshower. We visited your country a couple of years ago; it was a short visit. We absolutely loved Amsterdam and want to go back and spend at least a couple of weeks to see more of your country.

I will keep the Open Air National Museum in mind as a destination for the next visit.

Hi earlene,

the Open air museum is in Arnhem and most definately worth a visit. Amsterdam is great obviously, but does not nearly give a good impression of the netherlands since it is such a touristic place nowadays. so, visiting other places is a real good idea.

Dear soap friends,

I am a long lost soaper fron te netherlands. I have beenmaking soap for a while about ten years ago, and I kinda stopped. In the mean time I discover anotherpassion which is spinning (wool, silk, cotton, flax etc).

recently a friend wanted to make her own soap to wash her wool. My friend is a volunteer in the national historic open air museum as a spinner. So we wanted to make a soft soap using ingredients that would have been used in the netherlands about 100 years ago. This way she can wash her wool in a reasonably authentic soap (as far as reaonably feasible ofcourse). Needles to say, this rekindled my soap making enthousiasm. I already found lots of information on this forum as a guest and I am now going to dive back into the rabbit hole with you as a member, and I doubt it will remain limited to this project alone.
Welcome Sunshower. The soap that you'll be making, would that be Groenezeep? I've been wanting to make Groenezeep for a long time but haven't found much information on it, other than it was made with hemp oil.

(And yes, I'm from a Dutch background; my parents came from Friesland.)

Welcome Sunshower. The soap that you'll be making, would that be Groenezeep? I've been wanting to make Groenezeep for a long time but haven't found much information on it, other than it was made with hemp oil.

(And yes, I'm from a Dutch background; my parents came from Friesland.)

indeed we are going to make groene zeep or something similar.
Actually, the best information I found was the information in the groene zeep thread on this forum.
we got some raw linseed oild from the museum, so we made a 100% linseed KOH soap yesterday, which turned out pretty nice.
Next I am going to try the hemp/coleseed mixture I found that was posted on the groene zeep thread here :)

indeed we are going to make groene zeep or something similar.
Actually, the best information I found was the information in the groene zeep thread on this forum.
we got some raw linseed oild from the museum, so we made a 100% linseed KOH soap yesterday, which turned out pretty nice.
Next I am going to try the hemp/coleseed mixture I found that was posted on the groene zeep thread here :)
Please let me know how it turned out.

Back