Hello from the middle of Canada!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trisher

Reaction score
Hello. My name is Pat (or Trisher) and I am afraid that I am becoming a soapaholic. I want to make soap - every. single. day. I have been soaping since January and so far so good. I want to try every colour and swirl technique I see!
Question for you: What am I going to do with all this soap!!!! I know I can't sell until I am a pro - and I don't think I want to sell anyways. I will give to family (with a disclaimer that I am new etc.) and they seem happy to take the risks :)

There's a few threads on the forum with suggestions that members have done with their excess soap. I'll link them up when I find them.

My go to: My church has a free will donation area, people bring things they don't want, and if someone else wants it they will donate a fair price. All the money goes to our youth programs. I also take in a box to my work and set in the break room.

The nicer bars I'd put away and gift at Christmas. After they are a month or two old, you could put them in a paper bag or a cardboard box to keep dust, hair etc off of them.

You could also put out a box that says "Handmade Soap - Free to a Good Home" or something at your work or church.

I love the idea of giving to a food bank, but my local one won't return my calls or emails. I just want to know if I have to package or label it. If not...I'd love to just drop off a box.

I gifted a bunch of things to my local YWCA, but again those were labels and shrink wrapped.

Hello and Welcome! I started giving it out to family/friends after about 8 months of collecting all the soap I had made. I had close to 400 or so bars I think. I also donated some of it to shelters.

Family presents are great , just recently I gave soap to friends it was their birthday so didn't have time to buy outside so soap it was. One facial scrub soap and a cocoa one [emoji4] soap is a wonderful present.

Welcome.gif

I am afraid that I am becoming a soapaholic.
No worries, Trisher/Pat. You're in VERY good company. :D I've been at it for 15 years and still get excited when I'm trying something new or making a batch of my faves for personal use.
What am I going to do with all this soap!!!!
At first, I gave soap to willing "guinea persons"... the more creative types who appreciate handmade anything. All wanted more and were willing to let loose of some cold hard cash to support my addiction.
WooHoo.gif

I then started selling excess soaps in my garage sale. That went very well... 5 oz. bars cost $1 to make; sold for $5 each or 3/$10. Every year I made enough money to buy supplies for the following year and thus began the vicious cycle.

TIP: Fragrance sells! So be sure to start testing fragrances early on. Initially, I used essential oils and fragrance oils from MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage in Utah). Pricey but top quality.

Latest posts

Back