Hello from the middle of Canada!

Discussion in 'The Introduction Forum' started by Trisher, Mar 12, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Mar 12, 2019 #1

Trisher

Trisher

Trisher

Hello. My name is Pat (or Trisher) and I am afraid that I am becoming a soapaholic. I want to make soap - every. single. day. I have been soaping since January and so far so good. I want to try every colour and swirl technique I see!
    Question for you: What am I going to do with all this soap!!!! I know I can't sell until I am a pro - and I don't think I want to sell anyways. I will give to family (with a disclaimer that I am new etc.) and they seem happy to take the risks :)

2. Mar 12, 2019 #2

amd

amd

amd

Supporting Member

There's a few threads on the forum with suggestions that members have done with their excess soap. I'll link them up when I find them.

My go to: My church has a free will donation area, people bring things they don't want, and if someone else wants it they will donate a fair price. All the money goes to our youth programs. I also take in a box to my work and set in the break room.

earlene likes this.
  3. Mar 12, 2019 #3

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

The nicer bars I'd put away and gift at Christmas. After they are a month or two old, you could put them in a paper bag or a cardboard box to keep dust, hair etc off of them.

You could also put out a box that says "Handmade Soap - Free to a Good Home" or something at your work or church.

I love the idea of giving to a food bank, but my local one won't return my calls or emails. I just want to know if I have to package or label it. If not...I'd love to just drop off a box.

I gifted a bunch of things to my local YWCA, but again those were labels and shrink wrapped.

4. Mar 12, 2019 #4

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

Hello and Welcome! I started giving it out to family/friends after about 8 months of collecting all the soap I had made. I had close to 400 or so bars I think. I also donated some of it to shelters.

5. Mar 12, 2019 #5

Trisher

Trisher

Trisher

These are brilliant ideas! Thank you!

6. Mar 12, 2019 #6

lsg

lsg

lsg

Staff Member Admin

Welcome to the forum.:)

7. Mar 12, 2019 #7

katemz

katemz

katemz

Supporting Member

Family presents are great , just recently I gave soap to friends it was their birthday so didn't have time to buy outside so soap it was. One facial scrub soap and a cocoa one [emoji4] soap is a wonderful present.

8. Mar 12, 2019 #8

IrishLass

IrishLass

IrishLass

Staff Member Admin

Welcome, Pat! [​IMG]

I gave lots away to family and friends who were willing guinea pigs.

IrishLass :)

9. Mar 12, 2019 #9

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier

Welcome.gif
    No worries, Trisher/Pat. You're in VERY good company. :D I've been at it for 15 years and still get excited when I'm trying something new or making a batch of my faves for personal use.
    At first, I gave soap to willing "guinea persons"... the more creative types who appreciate handmade anything. All wanted more and were willing to let loose of some cold hard cash to support my addiction.
    WooHoo.gif

I then started selling excess soaps in my garage sale. That went very well... 5 oz. bars cost $1 to make; sold for $5 each or 3/$10. Every year I made enough money to buy supplies for the following year and thus began the vicious cycle.

TIP: Fragrance sells! So be sure to start testing fragrances early on. Initially, I used essential oils and fragrance oils from MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage in Utah). Pricey but top quality.

10. Mar 13, 2019 #10

Relle

Relle

Relle

Administrator & Bunny Fanatic Staff Member Admin

Welcome Pat :), you'll just have to take a lot more showers, to use up your soap :D.

Zany_in_CO likes this.