Hello from the Hudson Valley (NY)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A-OKsoap

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just recently joined, but have been lurking for quite a bit. I'm a new soaper and the data I have gotten from here has been fantastic!

I got into soap making because of my son. Since he was 6 months old, he had a rash on his arms and legs. Doctor said try a different soap, Oil of Olay. I tried it, no change. I tried a bunch of others, no change.

Then, I was in the hardware store one day and see a display for Grandma's Old Fashioned Lye Soap. I think "What the hell, it can't hurt." And wonder upon wonders, after about a week I could see a noticeable difference in his skin. So that what we've been using for the last few years (my son's now 8) and the rash is gone.

One day I went to buy more but the display was empty. I started to panic. And then I thought, "Maybe I can make this."

That was about 6 months ago. Since then I've watched more YouTube videos than I thought possible, read though tons of forum posts, bought a bunch of books and have gone a little nuts on supplies.

My first batch of soap was a 100% Beef Tallow, (which I rendered myself, I couldn't find any locally). My second was 100% Lard, just like Grandma's. My third was a veggie soap. None of which contained color or fragrance.

The next big adventure is color and scent.

OK, I'm gonna stop now. This is supposed to be an introduction, not my life story! LOL

Thanks for reading!
~Alicia

Hey and welcome! Lots of us got started making soap trying to clear up rashes and eczema. I am curing a batch of soap now for some of my coworkers that all have eczema.

Latest posts

Back