Hello from Texas

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MerrySherry

Reaction score
I've asked one question on the forum (grateful for good responses). I am not new to soap making, but am new to making it for other than family friends. I have worked many years in corporate/government positions and have expressed my creative side through pottery, painting, crafts of all sorts - and now I hope to bring it all together with soaping. I plan to retire next June and Social Security won't quite cut it so I am hoping to make a bit of extra income with selling soaps at small markets within a day's drive from home. To be honest, I'm scared to death. I don't exactly know "who I am" as a soaper. While I admire them deeply, I recognize that I haven't enough years ahead to become viable at "art soap". I'm definitely not interested in a massive wholesale type endeavor. I make pleasant soap in nice colors with good quality scents - but know that I have SOOOOOO much to learn on so many levels (what I like about it, actually). I like very much the idea of making someone's shower or bath relaxing. I've spent so many years in tense, difficult commuting and technology work environments - and now I want to be an instrument of gentleness, fun, relaxation. I have NO idea, after reading and reading and reading books, articles, websites, etc., whether or not there is a chance in heck that I can actually make any money at this (even enough to cover my limited costs). I just know that I want to try. Anyone who is older, started out older, who has any thoughts on whether I'm being completely unrealistic, I'll follow your threads and thoughts with great attention. This is a lovely forum and I hope to learn a lot and hopefully can encourage others and share a bit as well.

Hi and Welcome. Having soapmaking as a business takes a lot of time, work and money. Making a profit is possible but there are so many soapmakers out there these days so it can be difficult to get into shows and markets.

Thanks for the welcome. I appreciate your cautionary statement. Precisely why I am scared to death. I'm in a little craft fair here at work next week and in that tiny little fair there are 4 other soapers - 3 of which are VERY professional/look like they have been doing this awhile. But I saw this same thing when I was doing pottery. People rush in, thinking something will be an easy money maker and then slowly but surely people begin to drop out to pursue other interests/ways to make money or simply cannot afford to continue with that particular craft due to costs. I'm hoping (maybe foolishly?) that, as a retiree with SOME of my income covered, I will possibly be able to control costs and survive the current level of interest until the marketplace levels off somewhat. At any rate, I'll have my holiday gift giving taken care of for several years in advance! :)

I have had these thoughts, but realized the liability would be too great for a small soaper. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm too old now to take risks.

Welcome! I wish you luck on your venture. The "typical" advice is to figure out what makes your soap unique - but as they say, "there's nothing new under the sun". IMO, it has a lot less to do with the "uniqueness" of your soap vs your ability to get your name and product out there.

I'm just a hobbyist, but what I have observed is that you really need to synergize your online presence/sales and your in person presence/sales. Craft shows are a LOT of work - you have to transport yourself and all of your stuff, set it up (takes several hours), do the show, tear down (another few hours). It seems to me that doing craft shows should be a way to meet customers and gain traction. Then, if your product is good, they order from you online (or if you land a wholesale account, they go to ABC Store to buy your stuff). It seems like the real money comes from online and whole sale accounts.

While there are a large number of soapers out there, one huge advantage is that soap is consumable. I see FAR more folks selling jewelry than I do soap, and I think people are way more likely to buy multiple bars of soap - something they will use up - than they are multiple necklaces.

Back