Hello from Reno!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello and thank you.

I'm originally from New York but now reside in Reno, Nevada. Single daddy of a precious 7 year old girl.

Thirty years ago I wanted to learn how to make candles so I did what all prehistoric people did at that time; I went to the library and took out every book they had on candles. Went home, read voraciously, gleaned much info, then tried to make candles without blowing up the house. Made some nice candles, did some shows with friends, a total blast and very rewarding. Then life happened and my creative juices were put on hold until now.

Soaping obsession started about 6 weeks ago. My gosh, one day I'm a normal person doing normal things and in a blink of an eye, I'm ordering organic babassu oil along with plant roots and seeds I've never heard of. And I love every minute of it. A straight jacket is probably the only thing that can stop me now.

Anyways, sorry to make a short story long. So happy to be here. I've been lurking for a few weeks and decided to take the plunge. Look forward to being a part of and adding to an already lovely community.

-Kurt

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Your story sounds a bit like mine. About a decade ago I made candles & soap, then life happened and I no longer made candles and soap :D I just picked it up again in November.

Glad to have you here!

Welcome to the forum, Kurt! Loved your story. flowers-smiley-emoticon.gif

Thank you all for the warm welcome.

My last of 5 shipments arrives today. Of course delayed due to inclement weather. Perfect for a newly obsessed wannabe soaper, grrr.

Inner mad scientist ready to boil over:eek:

...Thirty years ago I wanted to learn how to make candles so I did what all prehistoric people did at that time; I went to the library and took out every book they had on candles. Went home, read voraciously, gleaned much info, then tried to make candles without blowing up the house.
That sounds like me! Only it was a couple dozen books on making soap & using essential oils and only 16 years ago. Luckily, taking great care, and wearing a full-throttle haz-mat suit, I (and the garage) survived making my first lye solution and the rest is history... as well as the haz-mat get up, I might add.

Welcome to the asylum.
Wave.gif

Hi Kurt,

I'm in Reno too! I started soapmaking in 2002 and just recently (this last weekend) picked it up again, I do it on and off. You are in for it. You and you sweet daughter are going to make lots and lots of soap. It's such fun.

Latest posts

Back