hello from Porto, Portugal

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rita Moura

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My name is Rita, i like to make things and knowing how things are made, i´m new in this fascinating world of converting fat into soap and i´m amazed by it, and with a bit sorrow because i can remember so few things from school chemistry classes.

As some, I found store products (shower gel worst than soap) are very harmfull to my skin and in that demand i started to read all the ingredient list of soaps and stayed very unconfortable. First because i couldn´t understand a thing, them because all the ingredientes sounded dreadfull to me.
In this quest i realized that the traditional laundry soap could be one of the less harmfull (even do it is for clothes and not for skin), remembering old grandmothers that used this soaps for life and had a pristine facial skin i tried to make my own soap.

In here (soapmaking forum), i found many answers for questions that i didn´t realized existed, and many more i will find, and for that reason i didn´t want to be on the other side peaking around the forum and decided to join in the comunity in hope of learning with all the knowldge that you gather and share my experiences and learn a lot more.

Happy days for all!

Welcome, Rita.

If your old grandmas made soap like Castile soap for laundry (I believe it as pretty common at one time), then I can see how that would be a fine facial soap. Castile makes is a very mild soap, and usually very gentle to the skin. Not everyone tolerates it well, of course. There is always the exception to the rule. I particularly like Castile soap, and find that the longer it cures, the better it gets.

What soap have you made so far?

Welcome, Rita.

If your old grandmas made soap like Castile soap for laundry (I believe it as pretty common at one time), then I can see how that would be a fine facial soap.

What soap have you made so far?

ahahahah... unfortunatly i believe she used a mild hand wash soap for laundry, after all she had a better skin than mine but that´s other question beyond the soap.

I made soap 3 times, always castille because it´s the oil that my country produces, and still learning a lot about castille... just this afternoon by spending some time in here many of my questions were answerd... the last one was about some strange things that i saw in the bar soap that i made in silicon mold, it was all about gel/non gel phase!

Probably i´ll put in here (or in other thread, i can´t figure it out) the soaps i made just to share with you all the questions that i encounter... but that will be in other time because writting in foreign language takes a lot of time for me ;)

Latest posts

Back