Hello from MO!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wday13

Reaction score
Hi everyone ! I'm Whitney from Missouri, I'm so interested in soap making. I haven't made any yet, I'm just trying to read up on it and get some tips, pointers, and as much info as I can. I'm nervous to start. Also, I'm looking for information on where to buy supplies. I live in a one stoplight town with only a Walmart. Haha!

Thanks in advance.

I live in a no stoplight city in MO...welcome! Our closest Walmart is in a 3 stoplight town 10 miles away. It's a good resource for lard, olive oil, castor oil, coconut milk, and well, really more than you'd expect! You will learn loads from the great folks here :)

Hey and welcome!

I am a hobby soaper only, so I buy all my base oils from Walmart or Sam's. I order NaOH, scents, etc from online sources, though, and I try to group those purchases to save on shipping.

Howdy and welcome!

Here's where I go for...

Oils
Olive Oil: Costco has it the cheapiest for me in hobby amounts. i think you can get decent prices from Sams or Walmart for it too.
Coconut Oil: Amazon "Snappy White Popcorn Oil". Make sure you don't get the butter version!
Castor: whichever soaping supplier I'm already ordering from when I get close to running out
Lard: Walmart
Avocado: Costco
Exotic Oils: Grocery Store or Soaping Suppliers

Fragrances & other things
Micas: Nurture Soap or Mad Oils
Fragrances: Brambleberry, Mad Oils, Wholesale Supplies Plus, and I've just been trying a few from Rustic Escentials & Nuture
Molds: Nurture

General Supplies
Amazon
Dollar Store
Home Depot (painter's buckets make great/cheap soaping containers)
Walmart (have I told y'all about the fantastic silicone spatulas I found there?? 1.50 each!!!)

Welcome, Whitney. This is such a great group of people here.

I also live in a small town in the Midwestern US with a small WalMart. If your WalMart is small like ours, the selection will be quite limited. But if you can travel to a nearby then or city with a WalMart SuperCenter, it is well worth it for the larger variety of products.

Also I highly recommend finding a TSC (Tractor Supply Company) just for the NaOH lye, unless you have a hardware store nearby that carries lye. At TSC it's in the plumbing aisle in a black plastic bottle sold as drain cleaner. The cost is about $14 - $15.00 per 32 oz. bottle. Usually I see no more than 2 or 3 bottles on the shelf and sometimes only one. Sometimes they ask for your identification, but that has only happened to me once. But I guess I don't look much like someone who cooks illicit drugs.

Another good source for soaping supplies besides the ones listed above, is Amazon. If you have a Prime account you can order many items and get 2 day delivery. Even some Essential Depot items can be purchased on Amazon. But make sure when you use Amazon to read the reviews if it's a vendor you have never used and ask questions before you order if you are unsure.

If you search online for soaping supplies and find a vendor near enough that shipping costs to your location would be low, post here and ask if anyone else uses that vendor and if they are happy with them.

Back