Hello from Los Angeles

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

federalist

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Emma. I enjoy woodworking in the Federalist tradition (late 18th century). My soap making journey began from a desire to make the most use of my lumber, out of respect for fallen trees. In an attempt to extend the useful life of my precious woods, I burned the scraps and shavings in a fire-pit barbecue, collected the ashes for lye, and had hoped to make soap from it. I even collected fine cedar shavings for scenting soap.

The ashes-to-lye-to-soap experiment failed miserably. By that time, I was in too deep to call it quits. I purchased NaOH pellets, and my first cold-processed soaps (one coconut-based, one olive-based) unmolded beautifully. I have been testing them as they cure, and I must admit to feeling a tinge a pride watching the lather develop.

Emma

Hi and welcome :) lots of us from the LA area. I'm sorry the lye from the wood ash didn't work out, but wooden soap folders, molds and gift boxes are nice. I would use the wood shavings for packing material rather than trying to scent the soap.

Yup.

wood shavings in soap = smelly black goo

That is what I learned when I added aromatic red cedar shavings to a batch at trace...

Back