Hello from Canada

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AhZo

Reaction score
Someone told me about this forum years ago when I was considering trying CP but Im not smart enough for that but i finally got around to making melt and pour just a few days ago. I enjoyed it and I will probaby be doing more an planning that.

I will be scanning the forums for Canada suppliers - right now using Candora (melt and pour base) & New Directions (oils). I dont know if Crafters-Choice is a better soap and I would like to try others - want lather, moisturisse but easy is more important. It seems Stephenson has higher melting point and might be trickier to get melted and not burned maybe? Crafters-Choice is certainly easy - too easy, but I like this because I do too many things. (Brain works inside just can't get out)

I saw the post from forum member who listed a bunch of canadian suppliers. It's bookmarked on phone and Im going through those but it seems three big choices are SFIC (think I saw a supplier here in Canada that sells less than big bulk), Crafters-Choice, and Stephenson. People like WSP in US and they sell Crafters-Choice? What do you prefer for melt and pour?

Also on lookout for molds with darker themes: skulls and stuff like that because Im am old goth so not cutesy.

Any spectrum people on here?

Someone told me about this forum years ago when I was considering trying CP but Im not smart enough for that but i finally got around to making melt and pour just a few days ago. I enjoyed it and I will probaby be doing more an planning that.

I will be scanning the forums for Canada suppliers - right now using Candora (melt and pour base) & New Directions (oils). I dont know if Crafters-Choice is a better soap and I would like to try others - want lather, moisturisse but easy is more important. It seems Stephenson has higher melting point and might be trickier to get melted and not burned maybe? Crafters-Choice is certainly easy - too easy, but I like this because I do too many things. (Brain works inside just can't get out)

I saw the post from forum member who listed a bunch of canadian suppliers. It's bookmarked on phone and Im going through those but it seems three big choices are SFIC (think I saw a supplier here in Canada that sells less than big bulk), Crafters-Choice, and Stephenson. People like WSP in US and they sell Crafters-Choice? What do you prefer for melt and pour?

Also on lookout for molds with darker themes: skulls and stuff like that because Im am old goth so not cutesy.

@Creepy are you in western, central, or eastern Canada? Makes a difference for shipping costs. Windy Point in Calgary might be a good option to look at if you are in the West. I can’t afford shipping from New Directions, given the distance from Ontario to me 😢😢

are you in western, central, or eastern Canada? Makes a difference for shipping costs. Windy Point in Calgary might be a good option to look at if you are in the West. I can’t afford shipping from New Directions, given the distance from Ontario to me

I'm in Ontario not terribly far from New Directions. I'm usually okay with shipping from West or East. the cross border fees make me sore. I have a diffficut time with google-fu finding specific Canada suppliers usually.

Welcome! I know at least one member here @cmzaha recommends Essentials by Catalina, but they do charge a freight-forwarding fee for shipping from the US to Canada.
Thank you @AliOop . I try shop local whenever possible. ;)
Its not usually the shipping but the vengeful pestilence of extra charges for teh COD for duties, etc.
Also: I'm not smart to be my own importer, etc.

Oh, I don't know if I should mention, but I am not a business. Is this form only for biz? I only make soap because I make things from scratch that people usually buy because Im a control freak not because we're thrifty because I suck at being thrifty.

I totally understand, and I like buying local, as well.

Many of us here on SMF are hobbyists, so you don't have to be in business to participate. And many of us make soaps and other body care products because we, or those we love, have reactions to commercial products. I don't think many of us save money on this hobby, but we have come to terms with that. :D

Oh, I don't know if I should mention, but I am not a business. Is this form only for biz? I only make soap because I make things from scratch that people usually buy because Im a control freak not because we're thrifty because I suck at being thrifty.
Nothing wrong with being a control freak when it comes to making things for ourselves! Although my husband prefers to call it “self sufficiency” 😁. I agree with @AliOop - we’re not in it to save money (because so many of us get hooked and buy so much soaping stuff!! 🤣)
hope you have a great time soaping!

Welcome to SMF!

Last edited:
I totally understand, and I like buying local, as well.

Many of us here on SMF are hobbyists, so you don't have to be in business to participate. And many of us make soaps and other body care products because we, or those we love, have reactions to commercial products. I don't think many of us save money on this hobby, but we have come to terms with that. :D

Some people spend money on gambling, some people spend money on movies, and some spend money on...soap. ;)

Tahnk you for the feedback.

There is a sub-forum here for members who do sell: General Business Forum
The rules for posting in that particular forum are listed in that forum, currently the 3rd thread on the first page (but that could change as sometimes the hierarchy does change a tad). Link to those rules: Business Forum Rules

You will notice rules for posting in different sub-sections of SMF are usually posted in the sub-forum where it belongs, whereas the General Rules for Soapmakingforum.com are listed in the Soap Making Forum Announcements & Forum Help forum. General membership rules can be found in a link in this thread in that forum/sub-forum: SMF Culture, Tone, Rules, FAQ and Troll Policy

ETA: Welcome to SMF!

Thank you.
This is an overwhelming amount of information to digest.

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried the supplier Voyageur Soap & Candle
Thank you for the recommendation i have not order from them yet but see they have SFIC. Thank you i was looking for a place that sold that in hobbyist quanitties. :)

SFIC (think I saw a supplier here in Canada that sells less than big bulk)
SFIC is the preferred choice among soapers I know who do MP. It's the one I used when I made some silly soaps for the little ones in our family. I actually quite liked the soap it made. As close to handcrafted soap from scratch as you can get, IMO.

Have you tried the supplier Voyageur Soap & Candle
Two thumbs up. BUT. That being said, WSP has more tutorials for MP.

i was looking for a place that sold that in hobbyist quanitties.
One or both of the kits that Voyager offers would be a good place to start at a reasonable cost. $49 includes 4 different bases, colorants, fragrance, molds and instuctions. Makes 40 soaps for about $1.22 each. Ideal for hobbyists!

SFIC is the preferred choice among soapers I know who do MP. It's the one I used when I made some silly soaps for the little ones in our family. I actually quite liked the soap it made. As close to handcrafted soap from scratch as you can get, IMO.

Two thumbs up. BUT. That being said, WSP has more tutorials for MP.

One or both of the kits that Voyager offers would be a good place to start at a reasonable cost. $49 includes 4 different bases, colorants, fragrance, molds and instuctions. Makes 40 soaps for about $1.22 each. Ideal for hobbyists!
Hi @Zany_in_CO thank you for respond
If I am looking at this correctly then WSP sells Crafters Choice and that is the brand that I am using from a Canadian source (Candora). I am goin g to count that as a landing point and will try SFIC when I can order some from Voyageur which is on the other side of the country.

As for kits ;)
I've already 'started' I came in credit cards blazing and bought tools and stuff more than I needed for the first batch (Dollarama!). we love the soap which is quite mundane compared to the examples, recipes, and topics of conversation here but we love it just going to be asking some really stupid questions of things that I thought about when I give up doing searches of the forums.

Im not doing this to save money! LOL

Planning 4 more batches now

I came in credit cards blazing and bought tools and stuff more than I needed
:D Too funny!
going to be asking some really stupid questions of things that I thought about when I give up doing searches of the forums.
You'd be surprised how much we learn from Newbie's, so-called, "stupid questions". They generally turn out to be something we all learn from. Ask away! No worries!
Im not doing this to save money! LOL
Smack Laugh.gif
You're in the right place. We're mostly enablers here. And there is no such thing as "Soapers Anonymous"!!! But reading this thread may help!

I use Candora regularly, but I've also used Windy Point out of BC in the past. They ship to Ontario (SW Ontario here)

Hi...welcome from a fellow Canadian! (Nova Scotia). I use Candora, Canwax, Coop Coco (french), Voyageur, Windy Point and YellowBee. There is also a company called Saffire Blue, but I haven't tried them yet. If it's allowed, I will leave a link below where you can find quite a comprehensive list of suppliers. Where to Buy Ingredients - Humblebee & Me
This is an old thread and I don't even recognize some of the names. I had to jump in, though.

Do your research on Saffire Blue. They have an extremely bad reputation; many people have been burned by them. Check online reviews, check with the Better Business Bureau.

This is an old thread and I don't even recognize some of the names. I had to jump in, though.

Do your research on Saffire Blue. They have an extremely bad reputation; many people have been burned by them. Check online reviews, check with the Better Business Bureau.
Hi Misschief! I am so grateful to you for pointing out the problems with Saffire Blue. I had only heard of this company, and had thought of ordering quite a few months ago. For some reason, I decided not to. How glad I am that I decided against it. I appreciate the heads up. Many thanks!

Latest posts

Back