Hello from Canada!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashleigh

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I decided it's about time I stop being shy and introduce myself.

I'm from Ontario, Canada. I've been making CP soap for a little over a year now, and some other bath and body products as well.

I'm dipping my toes into selling, and have done a few craft fairs so far. I'm also in the process of setting up a website. I have a full time job and have been making soap for fun, so my goal for selling is to cover material costs and raise funds for a local animal rescue that I support.

I've learned so much from this community through my lurking, and am looking forward to more actively participating in the forum. My family, friends and coworkers need a break from my soap talk and don't quite share my enthusiasm ;)

My family, friends and coworkers need a break from my soap talk and don't quite share my enthusiasm
That is SO typical! LOL You'll find lotsa enthusiastic friends here... unfortunately with the same problem! hahaha
Welcome.gif

Welcome, Ashleigh! I'm also from Canada...Nova Scotia. My sister lives in Oshawa Ontario. What part of Ontario do you live in? I'm not sure how many of us (Canadians) are on this forum, but I do love the geographical diversity of the members here. If you ever find a new Canadian soap supply store to order from, I'd love to hear about it! I'll do the same, and let others know if I find a good store. Amazon is great for some things when the shipping is free. So, welcome, enjoy and I will look forward to getting to know about you and your soapy adventures! :)

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

@Liesel Atwood, I've ordered from New Direction Aromatics, Windy Point, and Voyageur Soap & Candle the most. Windy Point has been great with the free shipping for some stuff, especially lye, but it can take awhile to get items since i'm so far away. Typically for FOs and oils i've found New Direction to be cheaper even with shipping. If you're not a member, the Handcrafted Bath & Body Guild offers members discounts to these stores, and depending on how much you order throughout the year the membership fee will quickly pay for itself by using the discounts.

I'm in Ottawa, and pretty close to Ogdensburg NY so have recently ordered from a few US suppliers and shipped to the border and picked up there. I like this option for FOs in particular that we don't seem to have access to in Canada or are double the price even taking into consideration the exchange and duties/taxes. The US seems to have so much more soapy supplies available than we have here.

I use Amazon sometimes as well. For molds i've used AliExpress when I don't need anything too quickly because it can take awhile. I also compare prices for some oils at Costco and sometimes olive and coconut oil can be found cheaper there.

My soapy wishlist keeps growing with all the cool ideas i'm getting from other soapmakers on this site, so any tips and tricks for supplies from other Canadians is always appreciated!

Hi Ashleigh, I live in Alberta; I moved here just 3 years ago from Ontario. When I was living in the Toronto area, my daughter started a soap business (20 years ago) and we thoroughly enjoyed making soap. I have recently decided to start making soap again, and as with you, my family doesn't really share in my enthusiasm (except for my daughter). But, I love the learning and the experimenting.

Back