Hello from Brooklyn

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martha

Reaction score
hi everyone,
So happy to have found you. I made my first batch of soap about a year ago so I could then teach my Girl Scout troop. Both batches came out great.

I put it aside until recently when I decided it would be nice to make soap as holiday gifts. I have completely fallen down the rabbit hole. I’ve been reading this forum and looking at way too many videos on all the amazing pouring and swirling techniques.

As another newbie said, I am a maker. I studied photography. I knit and spin. I design and take care of gardens for a living, which is a great way to be creative and add some nature in this big city.

Glad I found you guys.

Welcome Martha :). The only rabbit hole that I have is the one the bunny digs :D.

Welcome Martha :). The only rabbit hole that I have is the one the bunny digs :D.
Ha ha! I told myself I couldn’t start crocheting or weaving because I already have too many hobbies and now half a shelf in my closet is filled with oils and other soapy goodies.

Welcome.gif

You're from Brooklyn? Let me give you the NYCer test: Where in Manhattan is the Empire State Building located? :p
I think it’s where all the tourists are. My Girl Scout Troop sold cookies in the lobby there 3 years ago.

If you’re a New Yorker, could you let me know some local places for lye? I ran out and wanted to make more soap this week.

I think it’s where all the tourists are. My Girl Scout Troop sold cookies in the lobby there 3 years ago.

If you’re a New Yorker, could you let me know some local places for lye? I ran out and wanted to make more soap this week.

To be honest, if you're not ordering from Amazon, the next best thing is to order from The Lye Guy. He is based upstate, in Syracuse. Shipping isn't too bad but you have to keep in mind, his part of NY gets way more snow thanks to the lakes.
https://www.thelyeguy.com

Ditto The Lye Guy. I'm in Colorado and that's where I buy my NaOH and KOH. Good man to do business with.
Thanks! I will check him out. I may also check in with my local hardware store to see if they have pure lye. I have a few days before the holidays and I would love to make a a couple of batches.

0FFB9856-63B4-4567-8E59-02F3C50779FB.jpeg
Thanks Zany. That’s helpful. Thanks for the welcome Shunt2011 and IrishLass.

If I’m uploading it correctly, here’s a photo of some of the soap I’ve made for holiday gifts. Most have been given away already. Can’t wait to make more!

Latest posts

Back