Hello from a Brand-Newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blondebubbles

Reaction score
Hi, I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Linda (Blondebubbles here) and I am about to embark on my very first soap-making attempt. Please wish me luck!

I have a question, as I've been doing a bit of reading up before trying this: Do animal fats (lard) make a better lather than vegetable? or is it just a matter of personal conscience?

The reason I'm getting into this is because I am a bit of a health nut, and have found the only way to be certain what is in the products you use is to make them yourself. I've mastered the cooking end, now I'm going for the cosmetic.

Happy to be here!
Bubbles

Welcome! I wouldn't say the lard vs vegetable is a matter of personal conscience... The lard "most" of us use is in no way hurting the animals...and I do believe the veggies go unharmed too...

Personally, I don't use lard because I don't like it. Simple as that. I do, however, think it makes a very creamy bar, and some people can work WONDERS with their lard recipes! But I market my soaps as "100% animal safe" and push the "all veggie" soap on my site.

*Waves hand* Health nut over here too!

:D

Welcome.

I can't help w/ your question. I have not made CP in a long time but I buy it a lot & always 100% veggie for me too.

:D Hello everyone! Just wanted to thank you for welcoming me and thank you for your replies.

The first batch was a resounding success! :D :D :D It has hardened very nicely, and I'm so proud it has turned out well. I have a photo I can post if it's allowed - someone cue me in, please? I see the ImageShack Toolbar...

I didn't use the shortening or lard after all. I downloaded the SAP tables from Miller's Soapmaking Pages, did the math twice, took a deep breath, and made my own Canola & Olive Oil with Honey soap. I added salt for hardness, and it's smooth as silk! I know I should wait a couple more weeks & let it finish curing, so I'll try to be good and not use any more of it yet...but it's soooo much better than anything store bought I've ever tried!

Thanks for all the information. This website is GREAT!!!

Linda

Back