Hello folks! Tepezcohuite brings me here! :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

clownfish159

Reaction score
Well hello everyone! Basically I have made candles before but never really had that many molds or anything. I usually just used old mason jars and whatnot. I have been interested in making soap for quite a while and have finally decided to jump into it! I am on other sites right now trying to work out trades with people to get molds,dyes,fragrances,oils, etc etc...

And I found out I have an ingredient for the "mayan miracle soap" known as tepezcohuite. It is also known as mimosa hostilis and I have an abundance of it. It seems to have been used for burns,lesions,scars,pain,etc etc.... And I plan to make soap with some of it that I have! Hopefully I can learn to make hard,soft,and liquid soaps and gain enough experience here to make some pretty cool soap to share with friends and family!

Is this an herb? a tropic? As a horticulturist I'm having a hard time figuring out what form this is in. Do you have a picture?

Hi! Glad to finally get a response to my introduction thread! It is called mimosa hostilis, it is a root bark taken from the roots of the mimosa hostilis plant. Here is a link about mimosa hostilis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimosa_tenuiflora

That link tells you a little about mimosa and how the mayans used it and also how it is very high in tannins and whatnot. The stuff is very expensive (around 100 some odd dollars for about a pound of it. I have around 5 pounds of the stuff and plan on incorporating it all into soaps and lotions! If you read about it, it was used to help prevent scarring,acne,pain,etc etc... It should give my soaps a real boost once i GET STARTED!! :D

Mayan Magic Skin Soap Recipe

Clownfish;

I have been making a special premium soap using Tepezcohuite Root Bark powder. You might like to try it out!

I call it Mayan Magic Skin Soap. Everything is in Oz by wgt.

Extremely popular and Effective.

Coconut  12.2
Olive  18.0
Castor 2.3
Almond, Sweet 4.5
Emu 3.2
Palm 4.5
Steric Acid 1.8

Lye (7% discount) 6.4
Aloe Vera Liquid 15.4

Vitamin E (oz) 0.6
Yogurt Pwdr 1.0
Tepezcohuite Pwdr 2.0
Optiphen 1.5
Titanium Dioxide Pwdr 0.4
Calendula Pwdr 0.5
Sodium Lactate 1.2
Frag Oil 2.3

The soap recipe will produce firm bars with a very conditioning and skin soothing lather having plenty of creamy bubbles. Tepezcohuite will serve as a microabrasion cleanser. I use a fragrance called Black Linen & Amber, but many prefer a Spearmint/Peppermint/Eucalyptus type EO/FO for a medicinal fragrance. EMU oil is for penetration in to deeper epidermal layers.

1. Mix Lye and Aloe Liquid thoroughly, allow to cool to 100°F – 110°F using all safety precautions. Add Sodium Lactate (for firmness). Use a good quality refined Aloe fluid like George's 100% Aloe.

2. In a separate container(s), while lye mixture cools, melt the palm and coconut oils. Blend with soft oils. Add Yogurt Powder and mix thoroughly. Cool to ~110°F

3. Mix the Calendula Powder, Titanium Dioxide (For a paler, whiter bar), Tepezcohuite powders together.

4. Measure out the rest of the ingredients for stand-by (Vitamin E, Optiphen, Fragrance).

5. Slowly add the Lye mixture to the oils and hand stir when Lye solution and oils are between 100-110°F. They should be ±5°F of each other if possible. Use a stick blender for 15-30 secs. This soap will trace quickly so pay attention. At the first signs of trace, add the powders and Fragrances/preservatives. Mix thoroughly and pour into molds. A log mold is recommended.

6. Insulate lightly, and allow to harden for 36-48 hrs before removing and cutting.

7. Allow to cure for 3-4 weeks before use.

Questions? Email to Hobbes 7718 @aol.com

I don't see where he or anybody else is making any medical claims. The information he linked is all over the web, as is the information he posted which was all factual Past Tense - not medical. Get the NaOH fumes outta yer head.

Paranoia Self Destroya! Wave that FDA Banner around like it's ya birthday!

I think the ignorance of people acting as self appointed representatives of the FDA is Hilarious. Making homemade soap in your kitchen must be the prerequisite educational requirements to become a Microbiologist and Drug/Cosmetic Lawyer to boot!

Soapy Bill, your response was inappropriate.

I can see this thread has alreday been locked, however, I thought I would post a copy of our forum rules here for quick referance. They can also be seen in the forum rules area. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

We pride ourselves on being the friendliest soap making forum on the net. Please abide by the following rules to keep it that way.

1.For the purposes of this forum, ALL products commonly known as soap are handcrafted/handmade, regardless of whether it began as oils and lye or a base that may or may not contain detergents. BOTH products qualify as handcrafted/handmade soap in this forum.

2.Disrespect and criticism of another member, their practices or choices, will not be tolerated.

3.Disrespect of any member of the soaping community, whether they hold memberships on this forum or not, will not be tolerated.

4.Disrespect of suppliers will not be tolerated. While everyone have the right to post experiences with suppliers, both favorable & not, it shall be done in a professional manner free from insult.

5. Disrespect of any person, group, race, religion or people will not be tolerated.

Any negative, nasty, offensive or questionable comments regarding the above points will not be tolerated and will result in that thread/comment being deleted by the Moderating Team without further reference to the member.

Continued posting of negative, nasty or offensive comments will result in that member being banned from the board.

Thank you!- The mod team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back