Hello Fellow Soapers!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kittyclark53

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am new to this Forum. I have been making Soap Products for years and recently in 2021 decided to Market my stuff. I think the Pandemic started it. I was at home making so much soap and realized, I couldn't use all this Soap in 5 years!
I am anxious to get tips and tricks from other soapers. I have a lot of questions about packaging the soaps. I hope to get all my answers here. I feel I have a lot of Experience to bring to this forum. I hope I can help anyone with any questions they have about Soaping that I can answer.
Anyway, Greetings and Happy Soaping!

Welcome.gif
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself! ❤
Knowing the level of your soap making experience will help us to help you when you have questions or comments.

Show off your soaps in the Photo Gallery. We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more. You can also use the Photo Gallery as a log of every batch you make. Include the recipe as well as your comments about how you processed it for future reference.
I am anxious to get tips and tricks from other soapers. I have a lot of questions about packaging the soaps.

When I first started soaping in 2003 I sold my soaps at my annual garage sale for 4 years. I always made enough $$$ to buy supplies for the following year and thus the vicious cycle began. LOL Following the example of a VERY successful soaper here in the Denver area, I put my bars out naked, each variety in a separate basket with one soap in a soap dish in front of each basket for sniffing. More than anything else, fragrance sells! ;) :thumbs:

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Welcome Kitty :).
Hello! Thank You!

Welcome to the forum.:)
Thank You. I am excited to be here!

View attachment 64900Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself! ❤
Knowing the level of your soap making experience will help us to help you when you have questions or comments.

Show off your soaps in the Photo Gallery. We LUV pictures -- even when a batch goes awry. Hopefully that won't happen, but if it does, see it as an opportunity to learn more. You can also use the Photo Gallery as a log of every batch you make. Include the recipe as well as your comments about how you processed it for future reference.

When I first started soaping in 2003 I sold my soaps at my annual garage sale for 4 years. I always made enough $$$ to buy supplies for the following year and thus the vicious cycle began. LOL Following the example of a VERY successful soaper here in the Denver area, I put my bars out naked, each variety in a separate basket with one soap in a soap dish in front of each basket for sniffing. More than anything else, fragrance sells! ;) :thumbs:

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:
Thank You!

Welcome, Kitty!

IrishLass :)
Thank You!

Welcome. Selling can be a lot of fun and also a big learning curve. One of my biggest pointers is to have enough products to fill your booth, use different levels, and do not depend on just soap. Also, smell sells first, colors second.

My husband and I spent Sunday attending some of the markets we used to sell at and I saw so many mistakes with the new soap sellers I told my husband I should write an E-book about how to sell at open-air markets. We sold for approx 11 years and for several years did up to five markets per week.

Sadly, from what I saw for buyers in the markets it is going to be hard to make money today or even make back booth costs let alone make back expenses. So I do not know that my pointers would even work.

Welcome. Selling can be a lot of fun and also a big learning curve. One of my biggest pointers is to have enough products to fill your booth, use different levels, and do not depend on just soap. Also, smell sells first, colors second.

My husband and I spent Sunday attending some of the markets we used to sell at and I saw so many mistakes with the new soap sellers I told my husband I should write an E-book about how to sell at open-air markets. We sold for approx 11 years and for several years did up to five markets per week.

Sadly, from what I saw for buyers in the markets it is going to be hard to make money today or even make back booth costs let alone make back expenses. So I do not know that my pointers would even work.
Hello! I am thinking about going to market this year with my Soaps. I would love some pointers. I also have bath bombs and melts, Scrubs of several kinds. I love the idea of different levels. I seen that on other booths. Just getting my feet wet this year. Hoping to break into the open market scene!. My biggest Query is covering of the table. Should it be White with maybe some colored cloth napkins to display different soaps? I know booth setup is important. I dont have a backdrop either. Is that important? What would be the best way to display the company Name? Sorry for all the questions, I am just excited to get started on my plans to market my products.

Start a new thread with what you said here so that more members will see it and comment. 😉 :thumbs:
Hello and welcome!

If I may offer a piece of advice, pick the markets with lower vending fees to start. Open markets are great, but they can often be competitive. I've noticed more and more soapers over the years. I also live in a big city, so smaller towns may not have this same issue.

Looking forward to seeing pics of your merch!

My biggest Query is covering of the table. Should it be White with maybe some colored cloth napkins to display different soaps?

You don't want your table to be too busy. Think about how many colours you already have in your soaps, bathbombs, etc. and whether the majority of the colours are dark or light. Pick the opposite so that your soaps pop and really stand out.

Also think about who you're making soaps for: if its for the "Oooh! Pretty soaps I must sniff them!” crowd, I would try for a sleeker display: light or dark grey cloth would be one option. Another would be a brighter colour that attracts attention, that goes well with your soap colours.

If you want to cater to people who want organic and "natural" products, then I would stick to warm neutrals, like eathtones, beiges. You could even use an unbleached cotton dropcloth for a more durable, rustic look.

The other really important thing for an open air market through the summer is shade. Make sure you have a pop up canopy, to keep the sun and rain at bay. It can pull double duty if you attach a banner with you company name to the front edge. That way folks can still see who you are when there's people standing right in front of your table.

( I was selling art at a farmer's market a few years ago. Learned a lot, but...🤪 Wrong venue for paintings!)

You don't want your table to be too busy. Think about how many colours you already have in your soaps, bathbombs, etc. and whether the majority of the colours are dark or light. Pick the opposite so that your soaps pop and really stand out.

Also think about who you're making soaps for: if its for the "Oooh! Pretty soaps I must sniff them!” crowd, I would try for a sleeker display: light or dark grey cloth would be one option. Another would be a brighter colour that attracts attention, that goes well with your soap colours.

If you want to cater to people who want organic and "natural" products, then I would stick to warm neutrals, like eathtones, beiges. You could even use an unbleached cotton dropcloth for a more durable, rustic look.

The other really important thing for an open air market through the summer is shade. Make sure you have a pop up canopy, to keep the sun and rain at bay. It can pull double duty if you attach a banner with you company name to the front edge. That way folks can still see who you are when there's people standing right in front of your table.

( I was selling art at a farmer's market a few years ago. Learned a lot, but...🤪 Wrong venue for paintings!)
Thank You for all this wonderful information! I will definitely take all your advice in setting up my tables!

My favorite market display - Biggs & Featherbell. They started in 2004 at a single table in a strip shopping center and grew to that size in 4 years. They eventually purchased a warehouse where they now produce soap sold across the nation. Amazing story.
That's an amazing accomplishment in such short a time!

Back