Hello Everyone!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnette1212

Reaction score
Hello there! I am a newbie in the soapmaking world of CP soap making! I have made many melt and pour soaps, and although I have always wanted to make CP, it seemed intimidating to me... I finally tried it and I love it. Using Soap Calc has helped me tremendously, I am not searching for ways to tweak my soap, as it leaves my hands very dry. :( I read coconut oil is very drying so i will try to mimimize that ingredient and hope to finally land a great nourishing recipe! Any advise on how to make a less drying bar of CP soap is appreciated in advance! :)

Welcome Minnette. Yes, keep your CO low - I'm not sure how much you used last time, but I use 20% in my standard recipe. A lot of soapers don't even go that high - keeping it down at 10 - 15 %.
Apparently lard has a nice feel to it, but my soaps are vegan so I have no personal experience of that.

Welcome.gif

Any advise on how to make a less drying bar of CP soap is appreciated in advance!
A lot of us started out making inexpensive and traditional lard soaps because it cleans well, rinses off easily and feels good to most skin, including babies. We're called "Lardinators" because we favor lard soap so much. Try a 460g (16 oz.) batch - just plain. See how you like it before messing around with color, fragrance, other additves, etc. Soap at 120°-135°F. Cover and insulate with old towels/blankets to ensure gel. Snug as a bug in a rug until cool. LOL Unmold and cut. Don't pass judgment until it's fully cured in 4-6 weeks.

460g Lard.png

HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

Last edited:
Hello there! I am a newbie in the soapmaking world of CP soap making! I have made many melt and pour soaps, and although I have always wanted to make CP, it seemed intimidating to me... I finally tried it and I love it. Using Soap Calc has helped me tremendously, I am not searching for ways to tweak my soap, as it leaves my hands very dry. :( I read coconut oil is very drying so i will try to mimimize that ingredient and hope to finally land a great nourishing recipe! Any advise on how to make a less drying bar of CP soap is appreciated in advance! :)
It will help to know if you prefer vegan or not and whether you are averse to palm. I only recently tried lard and am seriously shocked at the results. The batch is not even fully cured yet and I already love it, which I totally did not expect. My understanding is shea butter can be subbed for lard, though. I have to keep coconut down to 15% or lower or I literally itch and peel.

Back