Hello Everyone!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queenbee26babies

Reaction score
I am brand new to soap making! I have watched videos, read audio books, researched and although there are ton of recipes. I am still stuck trying to find that one AHA! One recipe to master a bar of soap. I.prefer cold process but it takes so long to cure. I am now interested in hot process because it seems like its less curing time. Is that true?
I dont want to do melt n pour unkidsless no alternatives i love controling my ingredients. i.am purely organic based vegan as thats all the rage.
My last soap had ton of bubbles it never traced and is still soft that was two days ago.
Recipe consisted of high EO 15 oz , CO 18 oz, safflower 1 oz and jojoba 2 oz lye 4.75. Give or take that was the recipe.
This was way too soft of a soap i think!
I would like to make soap making into a business.
I really need a solid bar inexpensive oils ( i love whole sale plus suppliers) that has a great lather with bubbles but is vegan and that i.can make many varieties out of this one recipe. I havent even tackled designs or colorants yet just want at the least one tried true perfect soap recipe and how the heck do you use a soap calculator? I got brain fog over here lol Please Please help!!!! Truly appreciate it

I know soap looks yuck!! [emoji30]

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum! Please don't leap into selling - you need at least 1 year of soaping and 50 or more batches before you might be ready to consider selling.

What type of lye did you use? There's NAOH - sodium hydroxide. This makes bar soap.
There's also KOH - potassium hydroxide. This makes liquid/soft soap.

Here is a basic, vegan recipe that works:

Palm oil (NOT palm kernel) 40-50% (Spectrum Vegetable shortening, available at Wal-mart)
Castor 5% (available in the laxative section)
Coconut oil (regular coconut, not fractionated or liquid) - 15% - 20% (baking aisle, Lou-Ann is one brand)
Remainder in olive oil, HO (high oleic) sunflower, HO safflower, and/or rice bran.
https://classicbells.com/soap/highOleic.html
Superfat 5%

As for using the lye calculator, this is a good one.
http://soapcalc.net/calc/soapcalcwp.asp

I really like because if you click on the numbers (for example the 1 beside Type of Lye), it gives you some helpful hints.

Welcome to the forum. My favorite recipes include, coconut, palm, Castor and rice bran (or olive) oils.

Welcome Queenbee. Stick around and search our site for answers to your current questions, and many many more. Including discussions that hot process does not cure quicker than cold process. Sorry - I wish we could make it true!

You will have to get use to waiting for soap to cure whether it's CP or HP, that's something you can't rush. Soaping is not for people in a hurry unless you use M&P. If you make A LOT of soap over the next 12 months and learn the process properly, you MIGHT be ready to start a business, it's not as easy as you think, every man and his dog wants to make soaping a business.

Welcome to the forum.

I am noticing you mentioned using 15 oz EO in your soap recipe, that is the biggest error. Essential oils do not saponify and make soap, or I should say there are not enough saponifiables to make soap. Essential oils also have a limit of how much can be used, so you need to do a lot of searching and studying. I use most eo's at 6% of my total oils and some such as clove, cinnamon and some others are very irritating and have to be used in smaller percentages. It is never going to become a good soap if it even becomes soap

Maybe she meant EVO (Extra Virgin Olive oil) instead of Essential Oil (EO). But it doesn't look like she's been back to answer questions, so we may never know.
She was in on 1st nov, but no more posting.

Latest posts

Back