Hello everyone, newbie from Finland

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anich

Reaction score
Hi there!

First of all, English is not a very easy language for me so I'm sorry for any obscure text I may write.

I'm so glad to discover this forum as I'm very new to soap (and candle) making and was hoping to find an active forum with lots of experienced crafts(wo)men willing to share their knowledge. This seems to be exactly the place I was looking for and I'm looking forward to learn from you all! Perhaps at some point I'll be able to share some useful tips too :) My very first batches of soap are currently curing on an airing cupboard.

I'm a 24-year-old female from northern Finland and I live with the men of my life, which means my fiancé and two cats. All of these three, especially the cats seem to be very keen on soap making too so I'm never short of assistants (regardless of the current need, they all are helping a lot ;)).

Nice to meet you all! :)

Hello and welcome to the forum! :D

I think your English is very good. Don't worry about it.

I'm glad you have a support group for your soapmaking but I'm a little concerned about your cats. I hope they stay out of your way when you're making soap. Generally, mine stay out of the kitchen when I'm soaping. However, I did have a scare awhile back when I was turning from the sink to the counter and stumbled over one of the cats. He had come into the kitchen and was sitting behind me. Luckily, I didn't drop or spill the lye container but it really scared me.

Thank you Hazel! :)

Don't worry, the cats are kept away from the kitchen while making soap and the lye is mixed outside to minimize any risks. I also usually make soap with my friend and/or fiancé, never alone, so there's always someone to look after the cats and to keep them busy at the risky moments ;) The only phase they're especially and extremely keen on is the cutting of the hard fats and at that point they really can be a pain. I think they confuse everything that involves large knives with meat cutting which usually results in yummy food for them :lol:

Good to hear. :D My cats are interested when I first walk into the kitchen. Then they quickly figure out there isn't any food for them and they leave. That's great that you have someone to soap with and I wish I had someone who was interested. I think it would be fun plus it would be extremely helpful to have an extra pair of hands at times.

Hello and welcome! :)

I wouldn't worry too much about your English. You seem to have a better handle on it than many people I know who speak it as their first or only language. :lol:

IrishLass :)

Thank you so much IrishLass! I tend to worry a bit too much about my language skills especially when I'm writing, but I've noticed that this is a very common problem among us Finns. Maybe we're just brought up to be ashamed to show any imperfections, but I'll try to get over it ;)

And Hazel, it truly is priceless and helpful to have at least one interested friend around when making soap, and I'm so happy I've found a friend who's just as attracted to this sort of crafts as me. Besides, nothing's better than having someone to share the initial fear of lye :lol: However, I also think this kind of forums are just as valuable as "real life" friends being around, it's so great to be able to share experiences with other fanatics ;)

Anich said:
it truly is priceless and helpful to have at least one interested friend around when making soap, and I'm so happy I've found a friend who's just as attracted to this sort of crafts as me. Besides, nothing's better than having someone to share the initial fear of lye :lol:

Oooh...color me green (with envy). :p

Anich said:
However, I also think this kind of forums are just as valuable as "real life" friends being around, it's so great to be able to share experiences with other fanatics ;)

agreed!

Welcome to the forum! I think your English is fantastic! :D

Thank you all! I guess I'll be okay with my English here since everyone seems to understand it well enough :mrgreen: As said before, I tend to be too strict to myself when it comes to foreign languages.

I just made my fourth batch (I've made tiny 250g batches to try different recipes) and I think it'll turn out nicely. Dragonsblood scent wafts in the air, I love it <3

Latest posts

Back