Hello, everyone from Northwest Ohio

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdaniels8811

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Karen and I have been a soap maker for many years. A few years ago I discovered the joys of luxury oils (I used to render my own) and a hobby soap making business was formed. This is supposed to be for retirement but since that is a ways off, I am having a blast experimenting and coming up with favorite recipes.

One question - my scents seem to fade fast. I mix lyes and oils cool (90- 100 degrees) but that has not really helped. I cut the soap into bars and let then cure 4-6 weeks, then bag together in plastic. This happens with essential oils and fragrance oils. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am concerned the soap I make now will not have scent in a few months. Any suggestions would be really appreciated!

Welcome to the forum. Karen, how much e.o. or f.o. ppo are you using. You can go up to 1 oz ppo. You might also check to see if your e.o.s are 100% pure. Some companies cut their e.o. with a carrier oil. I sometimes use 1 Tbsp. cosmetic grade clay ppo, in soaps to anchor the scent. You can also include litsea cubeba e.o. with citrus e.o.s to anchor the scent.

Thank you so much, for the welcome and the information, ISG. I use Crafters Choice and use between 1/2 to 1 oz per pound of soap. I knew about the litsea cubeba (just found that out recently but had not heard of using cosmetic clay - I have a bunch of it in various colors so will try that next. Thanks! It is exciting to find a forum to feed the madness, I sold out of soap over the holidays so am in the process of restocking and having fun trying new scent recipes. I just made rosemary lavender gm soap and the scent is lovely.

Latest posts

Back