Hello everybody

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regansoap

Reaction score
Please could somebody tell me what the difference is between slsa and sles??? It's difficult to finder the former in the UK amazon is selling 800grms for £36 which seems really expensive whereas sles seems cheaper

SLSA is Palm or Coconut derived and considered more mild than SLS/SLES which is sulfuric acid, monododecyl ester and sodium salt. SLS is used in all kinds of cosmetics and considered safe. It's considered a bit harsher. I've not used SLS so can't speak first hand to it. I use SLSA as it's vegetable derived and I feel better using it.

I'm sure some of our more science inclined members will pipe in.

What are you hoping to use slsa or sls for? Sls will certainly be the cheaper option (ive seen it around £8/kg). You can also get a form of sls which is derived from coconut - you may see it labelled as 'sodium coco sulphate'. I make a shampoo bar with this and find it lathers well and doesnt irritate my scalp. It may be worth purchasing a small amount and testing it to see how your skin gets on before investing in something more expensive!

Latest posts

Back