Hello! Anyone know anything about olive-baking-soda-and-water soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michele M.

Reaction score
I recently ran across an intriguing video about how soap is made in Palestine, using only olive oil, baking soda and water. Ever heard of any recipes where a person could try this? Has anyone here tried it? Here is a video about it:

(Was that okay to put a YouTube link? I hope so!)

Thanks, Shellonian!

From Wikipedia: "The chief ingredients of Nabulsi soap are virgin olive oil, water, and an alkaline sodium compound. The compound is made by mixing the powdered ashes of the barilla plant (qilw) which grows along the banks of the River Jordan with locally supplied lime (sheed). The sodium compound is then heated with water and the olive oil in large copper vats over fermentation pits. The solution of water and the sodium compound becomes increasingly concentrated in a series of 40 cycles repeated over eight days. During that time, an oar-shaped wooden tool known as a dukshab is used to stir the liquid soap continuously. The liquid soap is then spread in wooden frames to set. After setting, it is cut into the classic cube shape of Nabulsi soap and stamped with the company's trademark seal. The soap cubes then undergo a drying process which can last from three months to a year and involves stacking them in ceiling-high structures resembling cones with hollow centers which allow the air to circulate around the cubes."

Even with the correct ingredients, something tells me I'm not going to attempt this one, LOL.

I liked the ceiling high soap cones though. Have you got room to try that part? 🤭

"...mixing the powdered ashes of the barilla plant (qilw) which grows along the banks of the River Jordan with locally supplied lime (sheed). ..."

This soap is not being made with baking soda. This process is the classic way to convert a carbonate lye made from ashes (potassium carbonate and sodium carbonate) into a hydroxide lye (potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide) by treating it with lime.

Sometimes you'll see this procedure incorrectly described as a way to "make soap without lye". You're still making soap with lye; it's just that you don't start with a container of store bought NaOH. The modern versions start with store bought washing soda (sodium carbonate). The old-timey versions start with wood-ash lye (potassium carbonate and sodium carbonate). In either case, the carbonate mixture is treated with lime. The result is sodium hydroxide and/or potassium hydroxide depending on what you started with.

This is the way my grandmother made soap. She had an ash hopper, and she made soap in a big cast iron cauldron on a fire in the yard. Her soap was a little harsh, but they were poor and made do with what they had. It was pretty impressive, however, and I can't imagine doing that and coming out of the process with soap that could be used, but she did.

Has anyone here tried it? (Was that okay to put a YouTube link? I hope so!)
Yes, I've tried it... long time ago... did NOT do it Old School though. I'm smarter than that! LOL I used Water, NaOH, Pomace OO & 1 tablespoon baking soda PPO. As I recall the baking soda bumped the lather and produced a mild soap good for sensitive skin. Nice.

ETA: Yes, it's okay to post a YouTube link. Very helpful. Thank you. ❣

From the FWIW department --
"Soda" is a common name for sodium carbonate.
"Caustic soda" the common name for sodium hydroxide, NaOH.

You can use baking soda as an additive in soap, but baking soda will not actually saponify with fat unless it gets a LOT of encouragement. Typical hot or cold process methods don't work.

There are certain types of fire extinguishers loaded with baking soda that are meant for fighting grease fires in kitchens. In the intense heat of an open flame, the baking soda reacts with the grease to make carbon dioxide gas and soap. The CO2 gas and the frothy soap smother the grease fire.

but baking soda will not actually saponify with fat unless it gets a LOT of encouragement.
That cracked me up!
Smack Laugh.gif
Oh, you do have a way with words @DeeAnna. As always, thank you for your input. We are all the wiser for it.

I've seen this video make rounds and it's really interesting. I'm wondering if any of the Arab markets in my area might carry it.

The way this soap is made might be interesting and different to small-scale soap makers like us, but honestly, it's not all that special. It's a classic method for making larger quantities of soap. It's often called the "boiled" method.

When I see these videos I always feel sad for the Palestinians - not soap related I know lol

Also, the most fascinating part for me is always the way they slice and stamp the soap. I've seen one where there are 2 people doing the slicing, one is pulling the other.

If I had a room (and a house sized slow cooker lol) I'd pull my toddler to cut the soap. He'd enjoy that haha

Back