Hello all.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JillK

Reaction score
Hello all. I have just started my soap making quest and really looking forward to it. I am hoping to get comfortable with the lye soap process soon so I can give for Christmas gifts this year. I look forward to learning and hoping to make some beautiful soaps and other items.

By the way. Don’t let anyone tell you that you are too old to start a new craft. I am in my 60’s and always looking for great things to do.

Happy soaping.

Jill

Hello and welcome!!! You may not be ready to gift CP soap for Christmas if you are just starting out. Safety is the utmost importance and it takes a lot of practice/batches before giving away .

Hello and welcome!!! You may not be ready to gift CP soap for Christmas if you are just starting out. Safety is the utmost importance and it takes a lot of practice/batches before giving away .

Maybe not Christmas, but possibly after. I am sure I will have some stories to tell once I get started. lol

If you were to make a batch before Nov 1, assuming it goes as planned, then it would be OK for Christmas. But anything later is pushing it!

Brambleberry has a great beginner's soap kit that has everything you need but the stick blender:
https://www.brambleberry.com/natural-soap-kit-for-beginners-p6607.aspx

I have been researching on youtube and have bought many books on soap making. Still I know I will have many questions and will have some failures along the way. Thanks for the link. Will be making my first batch later this week. Waiting on a few supplies to come in.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can always use M&P base and add color and fragrance, if you are running out of time before Christmas.

Last edited:
You can always use M&P base and add color and fragrance, if you get running out of time before Christmas.

I have bought some M&P and will use that on my first few batches. I am getting so excited, because of youtube, about using the hot and cold process. That is where the disasters are going to happen I believe, but I will laugh. The main thing I have learned is to start with small batches. No need in messing up a large batch of soap batter because I have made a mistake. lol

Thank you. How long does it take to cure? I have read about testing the lye and think I can handle that. Just not for sure if the soap will do what I want it to do. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on your recipe anywhere from 4-6 weeks up to 6 mos-1 year.

You’re smart making small batches. If you make a high lard/Palm recipe you could do 4-6 weeks easily.

Welcome, Jill. From one 'old lady' to another. I'll be 70 in Spring, so I do call myself a 'old lady', even though I do picture myself as eternally young. (In my mind's eye, I still look like a Spring chicken.) So you're in the great state of Texas? Well that covers a lot of territory, I'll say. Why it generally takes me two days or more to drive through, unless I stop to visit family, then obviously it takes a lot longer.

Soapmaking is an extremely fun hobby and one you can share with your grand children if you have them. Two of my grand children have made soap with me, but it's my younger granddaughter who really seems to get a lot of pleasure from it and it helps her express her creative nature.

Welcome, Jill. From one 'old lady' to another. I'll be 70 in Spring, so I do call myself a 'old lady', even though I do picture myself as eternally young. (In my mind's eye, I still look like a Spring chicken.) So you're in the great state of Texas? Well that covers a lot of territory, I'll say. Why it generally takes me two days or more to drive through, unless I stop to visit family, then obviously it takes a lot longer.

Soapmaking is an extremely fun hobby and one you can share with your grand children if you have them. Two of my grand children have made soap with me, but it's my younger granddaughter who really seems to get a lot of pleasure from it and it helps her express her creative nature.

I am having so much fun just looking at different soaps and how beautiful they are. I do hope my daughter will be helping me with this new hobby, but right now she wants me to do it and she to reap the rewards. lol I have tried lotions, liquid soaps, and more and having much fun with that. Should be starting a "man" rebatch sometime during the week. I told my brother I would make something for him. I will post how it turns out, or not. Have a wonderful week. :videovisit:

Welcome @JillK! So glad to have you as part of the forum. From one Texan to another, it is always great to see someone else from our great state become interested in soap making. My advice to you is do LOTS of research, not just YouTube videos...unless it is SoapQueen and Soaping101. Depending on where you are in Texas, humidity DOES play a huge part in the cure time, so you could see that it might take 6 weeks or longer for your bars to be completely cured. Be sure and use some first before you give away and then have family and friends use and let you know what they think, this will help you get a good recipe. Small batches are definitely the way to go when starting...I started with large batches immediately and I was lucky that I never (so far) have had to rebatch one. Good luck in this new adventure!

Latest posts

Back