Hello again and help me please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aesclr

Reaction score
I am not entirely sure of how to use this website. I want to get onto a thread that deals with making shampoo bars and also then I want to download pictures of soap gone bad to get thoughts on future prevention. Thank you.

Hello!

I actually find that searching the forum is easily accomplished by using Google.

Simply copy and paste this into Google with your own search term:

site:soapmakingforum.com what you're searching for

So if you were looking for shampoo bar recipes, you could search like this:

site:soapmakingforum.com shampoo bar recipe

As for "soap gone bad", this is a nice quick overview: https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/tips-and-tricks/soap-behaving-badly/

If you're looking for something more specific, you may want to narrow down your Google search terms.

I also search through google - I type "soap making forum" (use the quotes) and then what I'm looking for. I think you won't have much luck on the phrase "soap gone bad" - I think you'd do better to skim through the threads in the beginner's section to see common problems.

To search for specific things on the forum, it helps tremendously to use SMF's 'Advanced Search' feature. From there, you can narrow down your search parameters to make it easier to find specific things.

The "Advance Search' feature can be accessed by going up to the top right section of any page in any section of the forum and clicking on the brown 'Search This Forum" icon. Once you do that, a drop-down box will appear. Don't type anything in the search bar that drops down. Instead, move your cursor to the lower left hand corner of the box where it says "Advance Search" in blue lettering. Click on it. When you do so, you will be taken to the Advance Search page, which has all kinds of search tools on it to help you be able to narrow down your search parameters.

For example- let's say you want to find threads that discuss the problem of 'ricing'. Once you reach the Advanced Search page, type "ricing' in the Search by Keyword box located in the upper left side of the page.

Next, move your cursor slightly downward to the drop-down box situated directly below the Search by Keyword box and click on it, then click on 'Search Titles Only'.

Next, move your cursor over to the large Search In Forums box on the right side of the page and click on 'Search All Open Forums" (hint: you'll get more return hits by clicking on that instead of clicking on the Beginners section or the Lye-based section).

Lastly, go down to the center bottom of the page and click 'Search Now'. When you do that, 2 pages worth of threads having everything to do with ricing will pop up.

The above my favorite way to quickly search for specific things on the forum.

IrishLass :)

Your response is helpful. I also do find it difficult to search for stuff here..... thanks

I am not entirely sure of how to use this website. I want to get onto a thread that deals with making shampoo bars and also then I want to download pictures of soap gone bad to get thoughts on future prevention. Thank you.

If it is lye soap, you can post in the Lye-Based Soap Forum or the Beginners Soap Making Forum regarding your soap gone bad with the photos and questions about what you want to know.

For photos, I recommend using photobucket, flickr, imageshack or another image hosting site. They will reduce your pictures to a size that fits in the forum without any calculations on your part.

You can include up to four image files per post using the Insert Image button
insertimage.gif
shown toward the top of the box as you write your message. A pop-up box opens when you click
insertimage.gif
and you enter the url of your image. You get the url from the image hosting site for your picture.

To upload pictures, I just go down to the Additional Options section that you see when you are writing a post. Click on Manage Attachments, and a new screen will open, and there you can select right from your computer or phone the pictures you want to add. Click upload, and I think the pictures are resized. I've never had to resize a picture doing it that way.

Back