Heat transfer and sodium lactate.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I'm going to check it out. Powder form may be a more economical choice from a shipping standpoint.
Please let us know. Using BB's 24oz bottle of 60%sodium lactate ($6.00), as an example, and adjusting for specific gravity, the actual cost ($/tsp) would be about 0.04-0.06 cents/tsp. How much will 14.4oz (408
I agree with @dibbles. You and the scientist are confusing subjects. I read that Noreen's kokum butter is in chunks and the SL comes in a jug as liquid. No need to throw out your chunks of kokum butter![/QUOT
I was confused, too. But I googled powdered sodium lactate and found it. Never knew there was such a thing. I've always used liquid and never knew it was a 60% solution. (The great things we learn on this forum!) Since SL is such a small amount of a recipe, I guess (hope?) the 40% water in the SL does not matter. My soap seems to be fine. Does anyone know, if we use the powdered form of SL, is it at the same rate of 1 tsp. per 1 lb. of oils? Or would it be 60% of a tsp.? And would it be added to the oils or liquid?
Yes, 60% of a tsp. dissolved in a little of your lye water.

I agree with @dibbles. You and the scientist are confusing subjects. I read that Noreen's kokum butter is in chunks and the SL comes in a jug as liquid. No need to throw out your chunks of kokum butter!
Given that Noreen said that coco butter melts in her hand, but this does NOT, it's probably NOT kokum butter. The melting point given for coco
butter is usually around 90F, and kokum butter 90-104F. The melting point for sodium lactate is over 300. Simple enough to do a quick melt test.

This is an easy one. Put the questionable substance in a pyrex measuring cup, and put it in some boiling water (212F). If it melts before 212F, it's NOT sodium lactate, if it doesn't melt before that,
it's NOT kokum butter. Taking the actual melting point would be helpful. Using the infrared heat
(temperature) gun, that most soapers use, makes it really simple.

Last edited:
Given that Noreen said that coco butter melts in her hand, but this does NOT, it's probably NOT kokum butter. The melting point given for coco
butter is usually around 90F, and kokum butter 90-104F. The melting point for sodium lactate is over 300. Simple enough to do a quick melt test.

@n6561echo I don't think anyone is trying to melt Sodium Lactate here. (Yes, there seems to be a confusion of subjects.) @Noreen Moore was comparing kokum to shea butter, and in my experience that's right -- shea melts on skin contact while kokum doesn't (or more slowly).
I have only used kokum butter a few times, and never in soap, but remember it taking a long time to melt in a boiling water bath.

Btw, how did the soap turn out? Is kokum butter nice in soap?

Ooops! You're right, I went back and re-read all of her original posts, Confusing, yes! But what do you expect? I'm actually a 17 year old soaper
and science student. Those who suggested that I am a TROLL, are RIGHT!!! Just having fun while my parents are away. However, the credentials
I listed are those of my father, THEY'RE REAL, he's an amazing guy! Bye, Bye

Back after surviving a work lay-off!! And read this thread over! Wow! What a web of confusion I wove! So sorry! Yes I use the 60% liquid sodium lactate. I only follow how Soap Queen adds hers! I have never reduced water to account for the water in SL. Now jaw is hanging after reading part of this thread. Maybe I should??? I just put 1 tsp per lbs of oil. My youngest daughter is spectacular at math! So is my 11 year old grandson! I could recruit them for math purposes!
And yes my Kokum butter is chunks!
Again I am sorry! I do digress easily! And I have lots of "squirrels" that pop up and I distract quickly! Especially when I had the fear of losing my job after 29 years!
Now today is my day off! And soap will be made! And thank you all for your wisdom! And thanking the big guy for saving my job!

Back