HDPE Mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ana

Reaction score
Hi!

I have been a member for a while but haven't been very active. I will become more active here. This is a great place. Anyway, I just bought a HDPE mold on Etsy. It says no liner needed, but I read some of the reviews and some people say they still line them. Could a member with experience using those give me a recommendation on whether I should still line it?

Thank you so much in advance

I found out the hard way you have to line these. They say you just need a slip mold, which means you line the bottom and long sides, but not the ends. I bought a silicon oven liner and cut it to fit so I wasn't having to use paper over and over. I hate lining, so switched to a silicon mold.

I got a loaf stuck in my HDPE mold. I did everything to get it out. Froze it, banged it, threw it in the street.... and ended up having to cut the soap out. :roll:

Thanks!

I will try the silicone liner option. I think I like that better than messing with paper.

Just a tip, you can buy patterned silicone mats to put on the bottom of the mold, they make beautiful designs in the soap. They are sold at Michaels and elsewhere in the cake decorating section.

Petroleum (from some sources is thought to be but not yet confirmed) is a carcinogenic product So I dont use it for anything. That is why I use handmade chapstick now too. Because I used to use Petroleum Jelly until I read that. Baby OIl/Mineral Oil is also considered to be carcinogenic too.

Petroleum (from some sources is thought to be but not yet confirmed) is a carcinogenic product So I dont use it for anything. That is why I use handmade chapstick now too. Because I used to use Petroleum Jelly until I read that. Baby OIl/Mineral Oil is also considered to be carcinogenic too.

from http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/11/28/the-top-5-myths-about-mineral-oil-part-1/

Mineral Oil Myths

1. Mineral oil is contaminated with carcinogens. While it’s true that some petroleum derivatives contain carcinogenic materials (like some polycyclic aromatic compounds) the mineral oil that is used in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry is highly refined and purified. It’s purity is even regulated by the US FDA and other international regulatory agencies. There is absolutely no evidence that cosmetic grade mineral oil causes cancer. And there has been plenty of testing done to ensure that fact. We could find no published reports in any of the dermatological or medical journals indicating a link between mineral oil and any forms of cancer.

I read on a brambleberry comment section that if you glue mylar bags to the side of the mold, you don't need to line them anymore, but no one responded to the comments there asking if anyone else tried this method. Going to ask, so did anyone ever try to glue mylar bags to the side of the molds? Sounds pretty final to me if you try. :)

from http://thebeautybrains.com/2006/11/28/the-top-5-myths-about-mineral-oil-part-1/

Mineral Oil Myths

1. Mineral oil is contaminated with carcinogens. While it’s true that some petroleum derivatives contain carcinogenic materials (like some polycyclic aromatic compounds) the mineral oil that is used in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry is highly refined and purified. It’s purity is even regulated by the US FDA and other international regulatory agencies. There is absolutely no evidence that cosmetic grade mineral oil causes cancer. And there has been plenty of testing done to ensure that fact. We could find no published reports in any of the dermatological or medical journals indicating a link between mineral oil and any forms of cancer.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/151529-negative-effects-of-mineral-oil-in-skin-care/

According to the National Toxicology Program, unrefined and mildly refined mineral oil is a known carcinogen due to the presence of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which naturally occur in coal and petroleum. PAHs have been linked to various cancers, including scrotal, gastrointestinal, sinonasal, bladder and lung cancer. (reference 5) Mineral oil used for cosmetic purposes is highly refined to remove PAHs, but the U.S. Food and Drug Administration requires that some over-the-counter products containing mineral oil display a warning label. Consumer advocacy groups such as the Environmental Working Group advise exercising caution when using products containing mineral oil until more conclusive research is available.

Why would they require a warning label if it is considered a "Myth"

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/151529-negative-effects-of-mineral-oil-in-skin-care/#ixzz2a4nv1htU

Not trying to argue but there are negative effects associated with petroleum based products no matter how cleanly processed they are. (skin irritations and rashes) But that's why I chose not to use them, because of the sensitive skin and possible carcinogens.

There is absolutely no evidence that cosmetic grade mineral oil causes cancer...

show me otherwise....

I have a slab HDPE mold with dividers. I just put a layer of cling wrap on the bottom, then place the frame in the bottom. Once the soap is hard enough, you can pull out the dividers no problem, pull up the frame and remove the bars from the frame with a twisting motion. Don't know if you have a slab or a loaf mould though.

The mold arrived today. Quick shipping. It is a slab mold with dividers as well. I am anxious to use it. All I've used in the past is silicone loaf molds. I might try the suggestion above before buying a silicone mat. My husband thinks I should wax the bottom with carnuba or candelilla wax, but I don't know if that would work. Thanks for all the suggestions and input.

There is absolutely no evidence that cosmetic grade mineral oil causes cancer...

show me otherwise....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1630563/

Here is a scientific article stating that there is a link to cancer in mineral oil products. I understand that your stand is that the cosmetic grade mineral oil is "cancer free" however, that cosmetic product comes from a product FULL of carcinogens and no matter how much they clean it there are still traces of those chemicals.

There has been some great advances in to this purification process and significant changes in the way that things are done but there is still a risk and those cosmetic companies know it, so to cover their butts they put a warning out there right on the label.

What do you think the risks are of the people cleaning the petroleum/mineral oil? Probably high risk of cancer, I am sure. Even with protective gear they are still at a high risk.

Just because you haven't heard of it causing cancer, doesn't mean that there isn't some out there. It could be like 1-1000 cases or something insignificant... There has to be a threshold before oncology associations start reporting that sort of stuff publicly.

http://www.naturalnews.com/021717_toxic_chemicals_skin_care_products.html

Here is another link stating that products are and have been tested and have cancer causing agents in them. And even though there are trace amounts still found in products today. If there are trace amounts, that means they can add up over time.

We can argue day and night about this, but my thoughts are if there is a tiny risk... why should I? I don't want to use anything that could possibly contain carcinogens... I want to live forever. (LOL) I am going to stick with just not using the products with those chemicals in it for the safety of my own skin, as long as those chemicals in the products that there still is a risk.

So you can use the petroleum jelly and mineral oil all you want. But I wouldn't want to add that to my soap... or my mold. Because when you put either on the mold, it will get incorporated into the soap base (even on the outside edges of the bar) Why should I risk the integrity of my recipe for a lubricant when there are great silicone mold liners/sheeting available.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/price-beauty?page=2

Petroleum jelly is a byproduct of oil drilling, and when you spread it on your lips, you end up eating it, which is essentially the same as drinking gasoline. Add up the amount of lip gloss the average woman uses (and consumes) over a decade, and it equals 7 pounds. The European Union has banned many petroleum jelly products, and experts are concerned they could be linked to cancer. Women with breast cancer have twice the levels of hydrocarbons (substances found in petroleum jelly) in their breasts than women who haven't had breast cancer.

Latest posts

Back