HDPE dividers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godiva

Reaction score
Found a site online that has HDPE sheets - they come in a variety of thicknesses - would like to make into dividers - what thickness do you think would work best? 1/32, 1/16, 1/8? I think 1/4 might be too thick.

The site says they are rigid. They look like a pretty good material for dividers. Depending on how rigid that is, I think the thinner the better so I'd try 1/16".

I'm making some molds myself this afternoon, primitive wooden ones, intending to start out cheap and just find out how they work out.

I expect you will fill your mold with batter and then drop in the dividers after, right? Or what?

In my past testing of my TOG Slab Molds with dividers, using anything less than 1/8" thick HDPE is a waste. It will warp during the heat of saponification. I use 1/8" HDPE in all my TOG Slab Mold W/Divider lineup;

DSCF3202.jpg

TOG1224SlabHDPEAll003-1.jpg

DSCF2959.jpg

Greg, you are correct; Fill your slab mold up, swirl if you want, then insert the assembled dividers.
TOG1224SlabHDPEAll007-1.jpg

Paul

I used to work in the plastics industry, and was able to get some 1/8" HDPE to use as liners in my wooden molds, but gave up on them, because I could get them unmolded without pulling parts of the soap off and leaving them on the liner. Is there some special trick to getting them off, without chunks of soap still attached? Thanks.

Trisha

Wow, those look great. I might want to give it a try. Then again, being primative works well too...

tls said:
I used to work in the plastics industry, and was able to get some 1/8" HDPE to use as liners in my wooden molds, but gave up on them, because I could get them unmolded without pulling parts of the soap off and leaving them on the liner. Is there some special trick to getting them off, without chunks of soap still attached? Thanks.

Trisha

Hi Trish. I tell my customers sometimes you need to wipe a film of mineral oil on the HDPE surfaces for a period of time. After several uses, the HDPE releases better. Mineral oil will not saponify, so your batter, cooled soap will not stick to it.

Paul

Soapmaker Man, your molds are gorgeous - I wish I could afford one, but at this time, I am a novice. Perhaps later - or maybe as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for your reply!

Godiva said:
Soapmaker Man, your molds are gorgeous - I wish I could afford one, but at this time, I am a novice. Perhaps later - or maybe as a Christmas gift.

Thanks for your reply!

Well thank you! :wink:

Paul

Soapmaker Man said:
... you need to wipe a film of mineral oil on the HDPE surfaces for a period of time. After several uses, the HDPE releases better. Mineral oil will not saponify, so your batter, cooled soap will not stick to it.
I think that might help my ABS pipe molds. The freezer paper works okay but it's difficult to get it perfectly cylindrical and sometimes there is an air gap between the paper and pipe wall. This results in bars that are not perfectly round. It would work well if the paper was perfectly fitted to the pipe but that's harder to do than it sounds. I think the mineral oil might make a better release agent.

Where do you get mineral oil? Sounds like something the supermarket or drug store might carry.

Back