Hazelnut base oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking to improve our acne soap for hubby and I. In doing a search for a new to me liquid base oil I came across Hazelnut oil as a very good possibility. My main base oils are lard,tallow and coconut with grapeseed +1 other that would be the hazelnut.

Would like some experiences you have had with this oil before dropping cash on order. Thanks all.

Hazelnut oil is wonderful in skin care. I haven't used it in soap because a) it's so expensive, and b) I doubt the qualities that I like about it will survive saponification.

If you want to give it a go, one possibility is to hot process the soap, and add the hazelnut oil as your post-cook SF.

Hazelnut oil is wonderful in skin care. I haven't used it in soap because a) it's so expensive, and b) I doubt the qualities that I like about it will survive saponification.

If you want to give it a go, one possibility is to hot process the soap, and add the hazelnut oil as your post-cook SF.
Yea money not issue as we produce our own lard and tallow on farm. So I can spend a bit more on my liquid oils.

No I have not as I was looking at more astringent type oil.
I'd try a very small amount before committing to it, because the astringent nature of the raw oil is not likely to survive saponification. As an example, once CO is made into soap, the moisturizing properties of the raw coconut oil are lost, and it does the exact opposite: it becomes drying and stripping.

Have you tried an additive such as charcoal or clay? Charcoal-tea-tree soaps are very popular with those who are looking for an astringent bar. I make those often for a few friends with teenage daughters and sweaty husbands. ;)

I'd try a very small amount before committing to it, because the astringent nature of the raw oil is not likely to survive saponification. As an example, once CO is made into soap, the moisturizing properties of the raw coconut oil are lost, and it does the exact opposite: it becomes drying and stripping.

Have you tried an additive such as charcoal or clay? Charcoal-tea-tree soaps are very popular with those who are looking for an astringent bar. I make those often for a few friends with teenage daughters and sweaty husbands. ;)
Yes have done the Teas Tree. Just thought I would as a sf for a change. Got it on order as I only do 12 bars at a time so 1 lb of oil is enough for try out. Hubby is a grease magnet do to being a trucker. I have had acne since 12. I just think this might work for us right now. Otherwise I go back to old formula that was very stripping and drying do to high CO.

Back