Having a problem with my throw

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lane

Reaction score
I can not get my wax tarts to throw well. :(

I have been using WSP oils and votive Soy wax from Brambleberry.

I let them cure for at the least ten days before I test them...Within two feet they smell great, but past that, you can can't smell them.

Any suggestions for STRONG scents or a better wax?

In my experience, with tarts you really need a para-soy blend to get a great throw from them. Of course, thats just my personal opinion, but when I first started doing tarts I wanted to do all soy, as that was what my candles were... but after several different attempts and blends, I learned that I have better luck with blends.

The reasoning behind it is that soy is a softer wax, so the heat from your tart warmers heats it up a bit too quickly and you lose some of your fragrance in the process. At least, thats how it was explained to me.

are you throwing them underhand or overhand?????

:roll: :roll: :shock: :D :shock: :roll: :roll:
sorry i don't make candles that are scented
so i thought a bit of humor might help

ScentsofStyle said:
In my experience, with tarts you really need a para-soy blend to get a great throw from them.
Can you recommend a blend to try? I figured it had something to do with the wax melting so fast..

faithy said:
are you throwing them underhand or overhand?????
Over hand right out the window! :? :lol:

Lane said:
I can not get my wax tarts to throw well. :(

I have been using WSP oils and votive Soy wax from Brambleberry.

I let them cure for at the least ten days before I test them...Within two feet they smell great, but past that, you can can't smell them.

Any suggestions for STRONG scents or a better wax?

I love KY's pillar and tart soy wax. Also, what percentage of fo are you using? Could be that you need to increase it. Are you using a tealight burner or an electric burner? I have found that some electric burners just do not get hot enough.

I don't use WSP's oils - I was never that impressed with the few I bought over the years.

I prefer bitter creek to WSP myself, jmo. I have had good luck blending container soy and plain old para, non blended votive at a 70/30 ratio and throw in some universal just for giggles. Seems to give me a throw that stays consistant. If my tarts re-throw about 6-8 times, over 3 weeks, I am happy with that.
I do the same with j50/j223 for the container end and it does last A LOT longer!

The only supplier i use for wax is www.candlesandsupplies.com becuase they're an hour away an everything is perfect .. but i dont use their oils . to expensive unless i get a good sale .. then i will

if you try to add your oil at a lower temp an stir good but dont over stir the scent should hold nicely

I switched all of my oils to Peak's and They are perfect now! I suppose I should have updated this post :oops:

I use ecosoya wax and I love it ♥

ScentsofStyle said:
In my experience, with tarts you really need a para-soy blend to get a great throw from them. Of course, thats just my personal opinion, but when I first started doing tarts I wanted to do all soy, as that was what my candles were... but after several different attempts and blends, I learned that I have better luck with blends.

The reasoning behind it is that soy is a softer wax, so the heat from your tart warmers heats it up a bit too quickly and you lose some of your fragrance in the process. At least, thats how it was explained to me.

i second that idea. I made parasoy and came up with a great formula to make pillars and votives and it worked very well. I use the soy wax from wsp but i dont use their fo's I use peaks and I add way more scent than they say.

I also use way more than they say to use :oops: But a pound of FO and 10 pounds of wax is nearly cheaper than one of those big Yankee candles!

Hello there. It has been my experience that a lot of my throw problems have been due to bad scent. Get yourself a wax and appropriate formula that you love and put a yummy quality scent behind it! It has taken me quite a while to do this for myself. I love Royal aromatics. They really work with you and can help you custom scent for your own personal needs. The Hello Kitty on there are really cute by the way. Hope this helps. Happy candles!

I have no experience in soy wax at all but I can tell you that one thing that will make alot of difference in candle making is warming your oils before adding them to the wax. Of course you can warm bad oils till the cows come home and they still won't smell great. You have to purchase quality oils to get a quality product.
The oil when warm will bind better with the wax. The way I warm my oil is to measure my oil in a steel measuring scoop and then put it one a candle warmer plate...I let it warm while I measure out my wax and add the color ....(DO NOT warm your oils on direct heat)
Don't forget to stir for a full minute after adding the FO. FO should be the very last thing you add in order to not have to scent burn off before you pour.
There is a wax additive called Vybar103 or Vybar 260 that improves scent throw in candles, not sure if it's for soy or not but would be worth looking into too...

IanT Posted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

whatcha mean by throw a tart?? confused

IAN----> What is meant by throw is the "scent" that the tart or candle gives off while burning. A cold throw is when the candle is not lit and a hot throw is when a candle is lit....the better the scent throw (the amount of scent it gives off while burning) the better the candle.

That is great advice. I have found that too so I blend my own para-soya. When I'm making batches, I save left over ends, pieces that fall on the counter, etc and put them in a ziploc bag (one marked paraffin and one marked soya). Then when the bags are full, I melt them together (they both have the same MP), color, then scent, fill my prepared molds, and wick them with wick scraps from my bigger batches. I usually end up giving them away as free samples and the people I give them to want to get their hands on the container or pillar versions. :)

Another thing that helps me with I am making a batch is that I sniff my bottles and tend to blend FO's. I generally know beforehand how I want them to smell, so I use that as my base FO and then accent it with something (usually use 5 oz of my base and 2 oz of each accent per pound of soy...paraffin is 4 oz of base and 1 oz of each accent).

Lane said:
I also use way more than they say to use :oops: But a pound of FO and 10 pounds of wax is nearly cheaper than one of those big Yankee candles!

That is so true. They smell great but serously.....

Ok, stupid question from a person who hasnt tried this yet...to make a para soy blend (which is paraffin soy, right), do you blend it yourself? That would be great since im paying a lot for the soy wax and mixing it with paraffin will make it go a longer way. Whats the ratio of blending ? And how much FO to how much wax? Does the same apply for EOs?

Back