Having a hard time choosing Halloween Scents

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MelissaG

Reaction score
Pumpkin Spice, Honey Spiced Pear, Apple Cider, Bourbon Butterscotch... all no go's for me. They didn't sell a bit even one of anything with those fragrances. Please no Bite Me because everyone does it. Smell of Weather Turning, Black Raspberry Vanilla and Cherry Almond are already party of my standard line up. So I'm trying to find something that WILL sell but I have a huge list. So would love your opinions and suggestions. What do you think?

List of the ones I'm looking at:

Studio Fragrance
Marshmallow Fireside

Midwest Fragrance
Cracklin Birch
Mulberry Madness

Nurture Soap
Juicy Pear

Bescented
Fruit Loops
Lemon Poppyseed

Last edited:
Do you want to do Halloween specifically, or are you looking to add a couple of fall scents to your line? I don't sell, so I can't speak to what sells well in the fall, but I can tell you what I like. I haven't used the apple from Nurture, but I do love Avalon. There are apple notes but there is a lot more to it. It's like a golden nectar to my nose. Behaves perfectly and sticks well, although not a 'strong' fragrance. Also take a look at Comfort and Joy. I think that could work well as a fall scent.

Do you already have an oatmeal soap? I know it seems like everyone does it, but probably for good reason. It just sounds comforting, which is what people want when the weather starts getting cold. Of course, I'm in the north and you are in the south, so cold is relative and might not be a factor for what people want where you live.

Snickerdoodle, Apple Cinnamon and Pumpkin Pie Spice are three scents that I bring out in the Fall. I also do a Lotion Bar with Apple Cinnamon and use Deodorized Cocoa Butter because it's just a delicate scent.

Last year I did Christmas scents for the first time...5lbs each. Not only were they a PITA to make, they didn't sell very well so I will just stick with Fall Scents.

Do you want to do Halloween specifically, or are you looking to add a couple of fall scents to your line? I don't sell, so I can't speak to what sells well in the fall, but I can tell you what I like. I haven't used the apple from Nurture, but I do love Avalon. There are apple notes but there is a lot more to it. It's like a golden nectar to my nose. Behaves perfectly and sticks well, although not a 'strong' fragrance. Also take a look at Comfort and Joy. I think that could work well as a fall scent.

Do you already have an oatmeal soap? I know it seems like everyone does it, but probably for good reason. It just sounds comforting, which is what people want when the weather starts getting cold. Of course, I'm in the north and you are in the south, so cold is relative and might not be a factor for what people want where you live.
Oh Yes, I have an oatmeal, milk and honey soap. Comfort and Joy seems like a Christmas scent to me. As to the heat, this weekend will be 91 degrees with 32% humidity and that's as of today. It will likely get worse. Next week is supposed to be 96 degrees and 39% humidity.
Snickerdoodle, Apple Cinnamon and Pumpkin Pie Spice are three scents that I bring out in the Fall. I also do a Lotion Bar with Apple Cinnamon and use Deodorized Cocoa Butter because it's just a delicate scent.

Last year I did Christmas scents for the first time...5lbs each. Not only were they a PITA to make, they didn't sell very well so I will just stick with Fall Scents.
Starting to wonder if I should bother.

As a consumer, by the time Halloween comes around I am pumpkin spice and apple cinnamoned to death.
I found a nice chia FO that was a little spicy, a little sweet with out the typical fall spice notes.
I also like sweeter woody or leaf scents for fall.

As a consumer, by the time Halloween comes around I am pumpkin spice and apple cinnamoned to death.
I found a nice chia FO that was a little spicy, a little sweet with out the typical fall spice notes.
I also like sweeter woody or leaf scents for fall.
Hehe, so basically apple no.

I removed the apple options.

As to the heat, this weekend will be 91 degrees with 32% humidity and that's as of today. It will likely get worse. Next week is supposed to be 96 degrees and 39% humidity.
I was thinking more of fall weather, not the temps now. Our fall is typically dry and cool, but not yet truly cold. By Halloween we can have snow or lovely 50 degree days. So here, warm and cozy scents are inviting to many of us When the weather cools in the fall. We know all too well what is coming 🥶 On the other hand, the heat and humidity in the south during the summer is also miserable. At least it is to me.

Last edited:
Hi @MelissaG - who is your target audience for Halloween? I’ve been thinking of a fun Frankenstein Halloween soap - I love Halloween BTW - and I am thinking my friends and family will want them for their kiddos. I don’t sell, tho. Based on that, I was thinking of candy flavors - Smell the Rainbow NS and Galactic Grape WSP. I do love Fruit Loops FB and Juicy Pear NS from your list and think those are good choices. I don’t know the other scents to comment about. Now I’m curious about your design plans! 🌸

I sometimes do a line of Halloween soaps based on the old spooky cereals from my childhood - Count Chocula, Frankenberry, Boo Berry, etc. - and those always sell well.

Hi @MelissaG - who is your target audience for Halloween? I’ve been thinking of a fun Frankenstein Halloween soap - I love Halloween BTW - and I am thinking my friends and family will want them for their kiddos. I don’t sell, tho. Based on that, I was thinking of candy flavors - Smell the Rainbow NS and Galactic Grape WSP. I do love Fruit Loops FB and Juicy Pear NS from your list and think those are good choices. I don’t know the other scents to comment about. Now I’m curious about your design plans! 🌸
Almost always kids. Kids buy my bath bombs alot. They sell more than anything else. I've been trying to decide on the exact design. I've been thinking black soap with a witches hat and a kitty face with ears. Or, I found these gorgeous molds on etsy that are a kitty sitting on a crescent moon staring at the stars in the sky. Last year I tried an apple design with apple cider and barely sold any.

I can't speak for fragrances since I can't them, so my opinion goes in a different direction ~ maybe make some new fall/Halloween themed shapes using the fragrances you have? Like leaf shaped soaps in red, orange, yellow? Or pumpkin shaped soaps, or Halloween shapes, like ghosts or something. Then you can bust out and go crazy with winter fragrances. Just a thought

I don’t sell (yet.). My favorite scents for Halloween would be Dragons Blood, Patchouli (both any vendor) and from CS: Tonka Oud and Spiced Honey Tonka. (CS is CandleScience and both scents require vanilla stabilizer to remain lighter color.

I can't speak for fragrances since I can't them, so my opinion goes in a different direction ~ maybe make some new fall/Halloween themed shapes using the fragrances you have? Like leaf shaped soaps in red, orange, yellow? Or pumpkin shaped soaps, or Halloween shapes, like ghosts or something. Then you can bust out and go crazy with winter fragrances. Just a thought
Gal in Australia does that...she uses some 'halloween' shapes and/or colors and/or changes the name.

I don’t sell (yet.). My favorite scents for Halloween would be Dragons Blood, Patchouli (both any vendor) and from CS: Tonka Oud and Spiced Honey Tonka. (CS is CandleScience and both scents require vanilla stabilizer to remain lighter color.
Oh I should have added dragons blood doesn't sell either lol.

I'll be the voice of dissension and suggest not picking scents that sell for Halloween — instead pick concepts that are unique to your location (or where your products will be sold), build a theme, and pick scents that match the theme, but also fit your brand.

For example, Halloween in NOLA has got to be a super fun event. Not only do you have all the spooky fun that Halloween brings, but also the extra layer of the unique character of NOLA.

https://www.neworleans.com/events/h...di Gras,creativity in their carefully crafted
For example, when I think Halloween in NOLA, Voodoo comes to mind. So maybe pick a scent that would be a natural association with voodoo, something that smells funky and different, but sweet and approachable, like dragonfruit and lychee. Maybe a little exotic, like with a dash of cardamom or cinnamon.

A witches brew might smell like rum and tobacco. Magic spells might smell like snow and champagne. A zombie might smell like lillies & fresh rain.

I'd develop a line, develop the specific items, and then build a sensory experience to match that.

I would do the kitty cat face idea definitely. The moonlit night idea sounds cute, too. Use a happy fruity fragrance that kids will like and not be fussed about it smelling like fall. The juicy pear and fruit loops ideas seem the best from your list.

I'll be the voice of dissension and suggest not picking scents that sell for Halloween — instead pick concepts that are unique to your location (or where your products will be sold), build a theme, and pick scents that match the theme, but also fit your brand.

For example, Halloween in NOLA has got to be a super fun event. Not only do you have all the spooky fun that Halloween brings, but also the extra layer of the unique character of NOLA.

https://www.neworleans.com/events/h...di Gras,creativity in their carefully crafted
For example, when I think Halloween in NOLA, Voodoo comes to mind. So maybe pick a scent that would be a natural association with voodoo, something that smells funky and different, but sweet and approachable, like dragonfruit and lychee. Maybe a little exotic, like with a dash of cardamom or cinnamon.

A witches brew might smell like rum and tobacco. Magic spells might smell like snow and champagne. A zombie might smell like lillies & fresh rain.

I'd develop a line, develop the specific items, and then build a sensory experience to match that.
It is but I have to be careful. Halloween is mostly a party in New Orleans. A half naked one. Kids don't go door to door much anymore, it's too dangerous. They do in nearby towns. New Orleans is a strange place. It's also very catholic and we are in the deep south. I'd be worried about doing anything that might be considered scary. I also don't live directly in the city but in a satelite across the lake. Hard to explain. Although I'm fine with doing cute stuff, I'm not sure about anything else.

I also like Cracklin Birch. It is earthy enough to be masculine yet enough spice to work for fall. I haven't used the other scents you are thinking about. I like pear and pumpkin but I think of them as September. They don't do well for me the closer it gets to Christmas. I think evergreen scents and some vanilla spice scents seem to be a better choice for me as a fall to Christmas scent.

@dmcgee5034 , did you end up making the Frankenstein soap? I'd love to see it! Thanks. :)

Back